• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator Upgrade for my 64' Fury

Red63440

Local time
11:13 AM
Reaction score
I was considering upgrading my alternator to at least 95 amps and was interested in hearing about any issues in doing so as well as what you ended up purchasing as direct bolt on replacement.

Last edited:
i bought a power master 130 amp alt and ran a 2 gage wire to battery 14.1 at idle and 13.5 with 2 electric fans and f.i and digital dash and a/c

Last edited:
If you're not running A/C, high amp stereo with amplifiers, electric radiator fans, extra amp draining components why upgrade. If everything is stock you don't need anymore output from the alternator than what the factory had installed.

The biggest problem with higher amp than stock alternators is the factory wiring and connectors won't hold up. You will need to upgrade some of the factory wiring to accommodate the higher output.

So you didn’t use the harness as made but went straight to the battery. I failed to mention that the car has electronic ignition.

Last edited:
Would I be able to install an early style 60 amp alternator and would the origin harness handle it?

as said if your are close to stock even with ele' ignition 60 to 75 with stock wiring should be ok. if i were you i would remove all connectors clean with a small wire bruch check tightness and use dielectric grease.

So you didn’t use the harness as made but went straight to the battery. I failed to mention that the car has electronic ignition.

it is a 1 wire from battery to alt. only the ele' fans are wired to alt . all other power supply is thru fuse box and starter relay with fuse links.

So you wired the power wire directly to the alternator instead of the ignition. Makes sense since you have no power till the car is started and the relay won’t turn the fan on till the temp sensor turns on. Did you fuse that alternator wire going to the battery, 50 amp?

Last edited:
vance.dykes, clear some space in your in box.

So you wired the power wire directly to the alternator instead of the ignition. Makes sense since you have no power till the car is started and the relay won’t turn the fan on till the temp sensor turns on. Did you fuse that alternator wire going to the battery, 50 amp?

i used a #2 gage cable from battery to alt with a 150 circuit beaker. i used 2 fuse links 1 for each fan to alt. then i have a 0 gage cable from battery to starter then a 10 gage from starter to relay all acc power comes from starter relay with fuse links . fuel inj is powered from battery and ignition switch for key on power all other wiring is ran like the factory.
engine 2.jpg

Last edited:
I use the Power Master one wire Mopar 100 amp alt on my 63. Its actually a Mopar alt that they build with an internal regulator so its just a one wire alt. One thing to remember is that if you have not added any extra electrical items to your car the 100 amp alt will only put out what the car demands so if its all stock it will not burn up the wiring since the regulator limits the alt to only what the car needs and then cuts back the output to the set voltage. Now if you add things to the car that demand more output then yes the alt will put out more to supply them items and you may need to upgrade some wiring. On my 63 I have not changed the wiring to the dash other then bypassing my amp meter and installing a voltmeter. I have installed a bigger alt output wire and larger wiring to my battery in the trunk. The best thing I like about it is that the old 35 amp alt kept my battery charged and it never went low. But at night with my lites and electric fan on at idle in drive the volts would drop to about 12.8 or so but as soon as I touched the gas the volts went right back to 14.5. Now with my new 100 amp alt it will put out 65 amps or more at idle so now when I come to a stop in gear at night with everything on the volts stays at 14.5 since the new alt will charge more at idle. But when on the gas the volts does not go over 14.5 as the voltage regulator will cut the alt output back to just supply the car and keep the battery up. Course on the older Mopars its always good to fix the bulkhead and eliminate the connections that cause trouble in the bulkhead. Just remember if you have added electrical outputs to the car a higher alt will put out more to supple them and then you may need to upgrade some wiring. Ron

What I am going to do is to install a 60 amp square back alternator in place of the 35 amp round back alternator. The 60 amp was an option in 64 so I am hoping that its just a bolt on and will not cause any issues. The only extra I have added is an electric cooling fan and I will run the power lead for that directly to the alternator via the relay and a fused line.

Auto Transport Service
Back