• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator

Dreadl0ck

Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
So, I'm looking at upgrading my alternator after I've added some things to the car and today I realized I don't know anything about our alternators.

Current one has more than one wire coming from it, so I guess its not a one wire setup (I know, I'm not good at this...but trying to learn)

Headed to summit racing.com and saw that there was two different types - squared and round. Will either fit, or do they use different brackets?

Teach me oh masters!

Not sure about square/round vs. the brackets, but if you're looking for an aftermarket alternator, you might check out Power Masters

I believe it would depend on what year your car is. The round back style is the older version and the square back is the newer type. I believe they both mount the same way (brackets) and I think they both have 2 field wires. The newer type was available with higher amp outputs and I think both were available as single or dual pulley. As mentioned above, Power Master makes brand new versions of both. I always like to plan for the future and buy a higher output unit. Stock units without A/C and other options were rated at or near 60 amps or lower. Not sure what was factory on a high optioned car, it would vary from year to year. I bought a new Power Master 95 amp dual pulley from Summit last year as I want to add some goodies later after I rob a bank or inherit some moola. Good Luck! Someone will most likely correct me as I am no expert! It's a crap shoot at best! :)

I believe it would depend on what year your car is. The round back style is the older version and the square back is the newer type. I believe they both mount the same way (brackets) and I think they both have 2 field wires. The newer type was available with higher amp outputs and I think both were available as single or dual pulley. As mentioned above, Power Master makes brand new versions of both. I always like to plan for the future and buy a higher output unit. Stock units without A/C and other options were rated at or near 60 amps or lower. Not sure what was factory on a high optioned car, it would vary from year to year. I bought a new Power Master 95 amp dual pulley from Summit last year as I want to add some goodies later after I rob a bank or inherit some moola. Good Luck! Someone will most likely correct me as I am no expert! It's a crap shoot at best! :)
Ya you got it right, 440 source has some nice brackets at a good cost. I got a 100 amp unit from a friend here, pulley and bracket from 440 source.

32903457-6AE4-4530-973C-5F98A7D504D8.jpeg

whate year ? what regulator ? that changes which alt is the match ( or its wiring )

Tuffstuff alts got good options

I highly recomend no less than 80 amps alt... 100 amps better. You need no less than 45-50 amps iddling to keep safe the ammeter. 55-60 better. Need to run a parallel path up from alt and batt to the amm, through the firewall.

blah blah blah

round and squarebacks don't change the brackets.

B 4 you install a high amp alternator
Upgrade your cables
upgrade your fusible link or install a properly rated fuze
do not run your alternator through the in dash amp meter - use a bypass type (an option) or use a voltmeter
good idea to add relays to the lights to take the high current load off your light switch (and some ignition switches) just let them switch the switching load to the relay
easy to fry the factory wiring unless you are working on a cop car or other with a factory high amp alternator

B 4 you install a high amp alternator

do not run your alternator through the in dash amp meter - use a bypass type (an option) or use a voltmeter
good idea to add relays to the lights to take the high current load off your light switch (and some ignition switches) just let them switch the switching load to the relay
easy to fry the factory wiring unless you are working on a cop car or other with a factory high amp alternator

Get on fire the engine bay with a loosen gas line running just right a side of the coil with a damaged coil wire is a dangerous thing too

No need to bypass ammeter, just get the things correctly done. If you take care of get good coil wire and tight gas line, take care of the charging system as well

Auto Transport Service
Back