• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum Heads

Houle #382

Local time
11:29 PM
Reaction score
If you have a car that's only going to be driven on the road never at the strip is it really worth the expense of a good set of aluminum heads verses a very good porting and installed bronze guides 2.14 and 1.81 stainless valves, shortened valve guides cut for Viton seals, new springs 10 degree locks and retainers on a set of 906 iron heads with the stock exhaust manifolds.

If you have a car that's only going to be driven on the road never at the strip is it really worth the expense of a good set of aluminum heads verses a very good porting and installed bronze guides 2.14 and 1.81 stainless valves, shortened valve guides cut for Viton seals, new springs 10 degree locks and retainers on a set of 906 iron heads with the stock exhaust manifolds.
Cost about the same to just buy alum heads, lighter, little extra power

very good porting and installed bronze guides 2.14 and 1.81 stainless valves, shortened valve guides cut for Viton seals, new springs 10 degree locks and retainers on a set of 906 iron heads
who done the work and what do they flow and how much $$$ compared to the aluminum..

I posted this somewhere else but will say it again. By the time you pay for all new valves, guides, 3 angle valve job, and porting it will be the same or even more for iron heads and they probably won’t even flow as good as out of the box Eddie e-street heads which are very reasonable priced.

Aluminum heads are hard to get right now. Supply chain issues. I heard summit brand trickflow heads are available again.

Cost about the same
Just my opinion. Because of the similar cost, the benefit of the aluminum head is cooler running thus less chance of detonation from low octane/poor quality fuel. I'm sure there are other reasons.

also no quench on the 906 open chamber head unless you use a special piston, most alum heads will also give a bump in compression [ smaller combustion chamber] win win alum

who done the work and what do they flow and how much $$$ compared to the aluminum..

Haven't done the work yet, Toth Performance out of PA quoted me $1200. He has over 40 years experience working on heads, does lots of work for Guys that run the F.A.S.T. circuit. Toth stated a gain of 80 to 100 hp and at least 50 cfm or more depending on the cam. The aluminum heads I'm looking at all run in the $2500 and up range. I have been looking at the Mopar Performance heads and if I decide to go that way they are probably the way I will go. I was told to stay away from the 440 Source heads.

Haven't done the work yet, Toth Performance out of PA quoted me $1200. He has over 40 years experience working on heads, does lots of work for Guys that run the F.A.S.T. circuit. Toth stated a gain of 80 to 100 hp and at least 50 cfm or more depending on the cam. The aluminum heads I'm looking at all run in the $2500 and up range. I have been looking at the Mopar Performance heads and if I decide to go that way they are probably the way I will go. I was told to stay away from the 440 Source heads.
440 source sell LOTS of their heads MANY people like them BS on that advice

I've got 440 source heads on my 496 n they fit n work perfectly. Not sure who told you to stay away from them, but I have never heard 1st hand knowledge of them being bad. And if it's going to be a street driven car as you say, then they are definitely good enough for that job. As said above, lighter, bump in compression, dissipate heat faster, less chance of detonation w today's fuel, look stock n can be painted to look stock.

Only the China haters have issues with 440Source stuff. And even then you have to wonder if they've got first-hand experience or they're just bashing it for no reason other than they can.

Not sure why you would spend 2500+ on heads that will never see the track.

Not sure why you would spend 2500+ on heads that will never see the track.
Because more power in the street (or the track) is a good thing and fun to drive. Check out the “Engine Masters” show and there 440 cylinder head shoot out.

Auto Transport Service
Back