• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

aluminum indy maxx water block pros and cons

Bluefish

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
Looking to try my hand at putting a street/strip hemi together sometime down the road and just getting my ducks in a row now as I might get the block and heads soon and wait to finish the project. I like some features of the Indy, but would like to know who sells a block that needs the least fixes before assembly. Thinking 12:1 572 with Stage 5 heads. I know nothing about Hemi's but the expense.

ha ha get your billfold out....your about to learn!!!!!!!!!!
Well, didn't think that was funny, but i understand they are not cheap. I figure $30,000 should build what i'm looking for depending on how much machine work these aluminum blocks need before assembly. oh, buy the way, i have enough to build 10 of these, just so you understand i'm not kicking tires here.

Correction, i have enough to build 15 of these should i want too. I'm very serious here. It's not a case of if, but when, so need to get some knowledge on these blocks to buy smart. Even thou i have the money, I don't want to spend more than i have to. The Indy block lists for $6500 alone. I will be retired 4 years from now and will start the build then, but gonna buy the block and heads as soon as i get enough knowledge to make a smart purchase. I really like a few things about the Indy Maxx water block and would like to learn all i can before i buy something. The fun begins. Thanks

Thanks for that info. Couple questions i have is what max stroke with internal pick up and will it oil well with the internal pick up to 7000 rpm? I like the screw in freeze plugs on this Indy block as well. Any blanks you can fill in about this block, i'm all ears. Thanks again
I just started really looking "back into it" myself...

I sort of looked into it back in 2005-2007
just before I bought another house & moved my dad in
sort of put a halt on it...

I don't remember the specifics, don't want to give you any bad info

heads & valvetrain were pricey, so is any of the aluminum water blocks

your post just sort of reminded me of it
mine's probably a 6 months to a year or more off
to doing at min.

when I was looking org.
the KB was looking really good,
before I decided I want a short deck alum. block
more room in the engine bay
if you've ever had to work on a Gen 2 style Hemi
in a street car
you'd understand the reason for wanting a lil' more room
the shock towers & hood clearances
I'm only looking to make maybe 1000hp street-able N/A
big bore 4.5"+ short stroke 3.75" to 4" 477-500cid
probably FI too, possibly EFI depending on whether I go with
a wedge or Hemi
in either wedge or hemi, that part I still haven't made up my mind

do it the old fashion way, earn it... :poke:

the INDY-Maxx alum. block is the only one I know of
in that configuration

I just started really looking "back into it" myself...

I sort of looked into it back in 2005-2007
just before I bought another house & moved my dad in
sort of put a halt on it...

I don't remember the specifics, don't want to give you any bad info

heads & valvetrain were pricey, so is any of the aluminum water blocks

your post just sort of reminded me of it
mine's probably a 6 months to a year or more off
to doing at min.

when I was looking org.
the KB was looking really good,
before I decided I want a short deck alum. block
more room in the engine bay
if you've ever had to work on a Gen 2 style Hemi
in a street car
you'd understand the reason for wanting a lil' more room
the shock towers & hood clearances
I'm only looking to make maybe 1000hp street-able N/A
big bore 4.5"+ short stroke 3.75" to 4" 477-500cid
probably FI too, possibly EFI depending on whether I go with
a wedge or Hemi
in either wedge or hemi, that part I still haven't made up my mind

do it the old fashion way, earn it... :poke:

the INDY-Maxx alum. block is the only one I know of
in that configuration
Ok, cool. I'm not sure on the deck height yet, but was thinking 10.72 because i will be using a tunnel ram with twin Thumper carbs. I currently have a Indy T ram on my 511 low deck with twin 700 billet Thumpercarbs. They work really nice right out of the box.

I think the stage 5 heads have the valve cover mounting flange rotated a bit to get the valve cover away from the fender skirt.

Personally from experience i would stay with Stage 5 heads and their rocker arms. The best in the business. Regarding blocks i 'm hesitant to consider the new Mopar blocks from Callies until i see enough of them out their. Should you feel good about this I would contact Ron Iskenderian for lifters, cam and related. The best i feel also. Another thought is look at Bill Mitchell for a block has been around a long time.

Looking to try my hand at putting a street/strip hemi together sometime down the road and just getting my ducks in a row now as I might get the block and heads soon and wait to finish the project. I like some features of the Indy, but would like to know who sells a block that needs the least fixes before assembly. Thinking 12:1 572 with Stage 5 heads. I know nothing about Hemi's but the expense.
Have yourself a good well educated talk with none other than the guys at BEST machine in Farmington Hills. They have a lot of know how on these blocks and are distributors/builders at that.

Have yourself a good well educated talk with none other than the guys at BEST machine in Farmington Hills. They have a lot of know how on these blocks and are distributors/builders at that.
Thanks guys and some good advise. I know chuck a little as i had a small block machined there a few years back. They are very good there.

The new style Indy Hemi blocks are a big improvement over the old offerings. I personally know the guy in charge of block machining since the Wheatcraft's have taken over. I'd love to have one. I've heard good things about the Edelbrock Victor Jr Hemi heads. ASk Dwanye what he thinks.
Doug

who sells a block that needs the least fixes before assembly
The "new" circa 2019 redesigned BILL MITCHELL PRODUCTS aluminum blocks!
PERIOD
Available in 2 bore sizes for hemi and RB
I have put my money on a big bore (4.49) RB block.
Check it out, and I have a strong suggestion who to buy from.
Small bore hemi
https://billmitchellproducts.com/pr...-4-240-bore-billet-caps-click-here-more-info/
Large bore hemi
https://billmitchellproducts.com/pr...-4-490-bore-billet-caps-click-here-more-info/
My block will accept a 4.50 stroke as cast, no clearancing required. Check on the hemi block you may be interested in to be sure. I'm only going with a 4.25" stroke for a 541.

Auto Transport Service
Back