• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

always hot

ord27

Local time
4:11 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys
In order to get my dome light and brake lights to work with the key off, the a/c blower is also hot without the key

1970 Coronet

Is this normal?

sorry
my dome light was not working when the doors open, unless the key is on.
also
My brake lights don't work unless the key is on.
Using a diagram, I've discovered that both of these things are tied together. They should also be working without the key on.
I followed the pink brake switch wire to the fuse block and plugged it into a circuit that is hot without the key on. Works great, but now the a/c blower comes on without the key on.

Is this normal?

Short answer—-No. I’m thinking your pink is shorting to the fan somehow. I’m not even sure the fan would work in “acc” position ,just “ign”.

thanks. that's what I suspected

I would think that the interior lights and brake lights would be two different circuits. Yes they should work without the key being in the on position. Maybe recheck the schematic. You might have followed the interior light wire to the trunk light.

Whats the old saying around here? Check the grounds.

Not sure about the quality of the drawings I am looking at but the fan power is fed via a black/tracer wire which is connected to the switched side of the fuse panel. The pink feed is to the non-switched side as you have noticed. Look for that black/tracer lead on your fuse panel.

I'm betting the leads for these circuits are connected to the wrong locations in the fuse panel or the feed wire to them which jumps across several fuses through a buss connection. Easy to mix these up.

Auto Transport Service
Back