• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALWAYS open the box!!

PeteyDaMan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:10 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just wanted to remind everyone to always open new parts when you get them.
I recently made a significant purchase (at least it was significant to me) when they had a sale going on.
Saved me about $100 bucks which made me happy :bananadance::lol:

I'm not quite ready to put this new part on my car so I was about to stick it on a shelf until I was ready but thought to myself
"Hey Petey, you should probably double check that FedEx didn't destroy it during shipping as they normally do"
So I opened the box and .... VIOLA! ... a manufacturing issue resulting in a defective part :mad::cursin:

I sent and email this morning along with pictures to the vendor, who has a very good reputation so I'm sure they will make it right.
If they don't, you'll be the first ones to know.

And so ends our Public Service Announcement for today

Happy Easter!

Learned that lesson the hard way. Bought a Dana 60 SG opened the box there it is. Put on shelf for a year or so. Pulled it out took a ring gear tried to put it on OOPS no fits.:D Had to buy another, got it fairly cheap missing a cross shaft gear. The Dana 70 guts are the same as the 60.

Learned that lesson the hard way. Bought a Dana 60 SG opened the box there it is. Put on shelf for a year or so. Pulled it out took a ring gear tried to put it on OOPS no fits.:D Had to buy another, got it fairly cheap missing a cross shaft gear. The Dana 70 guts are the same as the 60.
Yup, the 70 guts are the same.....and the last 60 I worked on had a defect. Looked like the sand caved when it was cast and the slot for the bearing puller just wasn't good enough to get the fingers in on one side so had to put it on the mill and fix it. Everything else was ok except for bearing fit radii was larger than stock and had to get shims with a larger ID. Same thing for the pinion. This over seas stuff sucks.

The fuel pump on my Chevy was leaking so I ordered an Edelbrock fuel pump from Summit. Things got busy so it didn’t get changed right away, when I finally went to change it the arm was all wrong. Summit was out of stock as were most of my usual sources. Speedway had one in stock so the truck was only down for a week. Had I discovered the wrong part right away when I received it, sourcing a correct replacement wouldn’t have been a big deal…

Yes. Always open the box. Sure I know that now.
I drop shipped a heater core for a 77 Aspen R/T to a fella in Wisconsin. He had found a heater core at Parts King in Alberta and he asked if I would buy it for him and ship it to his place. They didn't ship south believe it or not?? Anyway ,I agreed and ordered and had shipped to my place and "I didn't open the box!!!" So I shipped it to him. Just put some duct tape over my address and put his on it. Two weeks later he receives the parcel. He opened the box. Well one of the dam pipes had a bend in it. You guys all know how delicate those solder joints are. He pressured tested it and it didn't leak. But he was going to wait till he took out his other one for comparison before he was going to screw around with it. I never heard anything so I hope it worked out. I apologized for not opening it and checking it out. I would have gladly sent it back for a exchange.
Always open the box!

YEP... when you unwrap the bumper, that was shipped all the way from California, for a Ford... instead of your '64 Dodge.
1964dodge440wrongbumper 004.JPG

Good advice.

New ball joints sat on my shelf unopened for months. Finally organised myself to install them only to find two left ball joints for another car. Glad my shed is relatively soundproof.

Yes, most have experienced this. Currently I have a mini-starter, from Mancini's, that is New, & defective. It was at the shop working my '63, but I couldn't persue it in a timely fashion. I also have another I bought at the same time, years ago, and don't know if this one will work either ? One problem with buying too soon...

It's really matter if buy an engine with a 1 year waranty and it takes a year and a half to finish and get your car running. Think some dyno time or engine test stand might be money well spent. @Richard Cranium

ANYTHING delivered by FedEx requires immediate inspection for breakage, which is commonplace.

I thought I was the only one that orders parts that sit on the shelf for months/years before being used.

I remember years ago, my wife brought me a Wendy's burger and fries to work for me at lunch. I opened the package, and the burger was missing the hamburger patty! LOL

ANYTHING delivered by FedEx requires immediate inspection for breakage, which is commonplace.
If you get it at all - or have to go find it alongside the road somewhere in a ditch.
Terrible shipper, like they're from a third world country or something...

Wait a minute - you mean there's folks that don't open packages when they get them?
Hell man, it's like Christmas anytime they bring one up the ridge here - even though I know
darn well what's supposed to be in it, these days it's still a surprise either way. :)

(I never order stuff months/years in advance - I don't plan anything that far in advance.
Y'all know why...)

Hi all,
I just wanted to remind everyone to always open new parts when you get them.
I recently made a significant purchase (at least it was significant to me) when they had a sale going on.

I'm not quite ready to put this new part on my car so I was about to stick it on a shelf until I was ready but thought to myself
"Hey Petey, you should probably double check that FedEx didn't destroy it during shipping as they normally do"
So I opened the box and .... VIOLA! ... a manufacturing issue resulting in a defective part :mad::cursin:

I sent and email this morning along with pictures to the vendor, who has a very good reputation so I'm sure they will make it right.
If they don't, you'll be the first ones to know.

And so ends our Public Service Announcement for today

Happy Easter!
This is just general common sense, but most people have the common sense that God gave a Grapefruit! Then they come on here and complain about how a vendor won't take back something that's been in the box for 3 years before opening it, because of their own stupidity of NOT checking parts upon arrival!! JMHO

I've found used oil filters in boxes before. People are ridiculous.

Auto Transport Service
Back