• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am i crazy (Driving 69 Satellite from Kentucky to Oregon)?

Sam69sat

Local time
11:09 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,

I'm the proud new owner of a 69 Satellite. Been looking for one for a long time up here in the Northwest but couldn't find any. I ended up locating one down in Kentucky and found fellow car enthusiast who agreed to go look at it for me. I ended up buying it but now i have to get it back to Oregon. Supposedly it starts right up and runs but i'm not sure how road worthy it would be for a 2100 mile trip.

Now i'm weighing my options now on how to get it. First thought is to have it transported but it's kind of spendy for me (around $1700 - $2000?). I'm not totally against it but who doesn't want to save money for the car instead?

The next though was to drive there and haul it back on a trailer. I'm pretty sure it would be a little cheaper but would take quite a bit of time and fuel. I do have relatives nearby so i could spend a week or so before towing it back.

Third thing that crossed my mind is to fly down and drive it back. Flights look really cheap last time i looked. I know this would be by far the most risky but it would also be pretty cool if i made it back without a serious breakdown. Should i try it or do you guys think i'm totally nuts? Any tips on what to check or do to the car before driving it back? It doesn't sound like it's been driven a lot recently and could have been stored for quite a while. Looking forward to any replies.

This time of year in all the salt no thanks! Anytime in the summer hell yea but not through the salty roads and shitty weather......and just washing it off when your home doesn't do it justice....SALT SUCKS. Take it from a guy in WNY! If its a super nice ride, I'd trailer it, preferably enclosed.

Are you ready to repair a break down on the side of the highway. Are you a wrench turner and do it yourself ear?

Wrong time of year for a car that’s been sitting a long time. Lots of things Can fail on a long road trip Potentially leaving you stranded in January. You might get lucky on the car and weather, roll the dice? Take it to your relatives house and work on it first:

Tires
Repack all 4 wheel bearings
U joints grease or replace
V Belts
Coolant hoses
Thermostat
Water pump
Fuel pump
Fuel hoses & filter
Gas tank full of crud and plugging filters/tank sock?
Wiper blades
Drain ATF and new filter.

leave it at your relatives place until April or May then drive it out.

Last edited:
This time of year in all the salt no thanks! Anytime in the summer hell yea but not through the salty roads and shitty weather......and just washing it off when your home doesn't do it justice....SALT SUCKS. Take it from a guy in WNY! If its a super nice ride, I'd trailer it, preferably enclosed.
Salt does suck for the car.

Are you ready to repair a break down on the side of the highway. Are you a wrench turner and do it yourself ear?

Wrong time of year for a car that’s been sitting a long time. Lots of things Can fail on a long road trip Potentially leaving you stranded in January. You might get lucky on the car and weather, roll the dice? Take it to your relatives house and work on it first:

Tires
V Belts
Coolant hoses
Thermostat
Water pump
Fuel pump
Fuel hoses & filter
Wiper blades
Wise words always get it home.

Tires
V Belts
Coolant hoses
Thermostat
Water pump
Fuel pump
Fuel hoses & filter
Wiper blades
A "AAA" membership might be useful also.....just sayin' :thumbsup:

And taking lots of pictures along the journey to share here will make you a lot of new friends. :D

Thanks for the words and advice from everyone. I'm not a mechanic but i do all my mechanic work myself on my old Nissan 4x4. That said, i''ve never owned a carburated vehicle nor an automatic. Car is a 318 auto. Also good advice on the salt. Didn't cross my mind because we don't have salted roads here in Oregon.

Thanks for the words and advice from everyone. I'm not a mechanic but i do all my mechanic work myself on my old Nissan 4x4. That said, i''ve never owned a carburated vehicle nor an automatic. Car is a 318 auto. Also good advice on the salt. Didn't cross my mind because we don't have salted roads here in Oregon.
Do what you feel the Mopar will guide your way.

Part of the reason i though i might try it was because i happened to come across Lemon Rally videos on youtube. Haha... if some of those cars can make it 2000-3000 miles why wouldn't a mopar? Maybe i'll stay south to avoid salted roads. We'll see. I'll make sure to take pics if i decide to do it. Might need some prayers too!

That would be funny as Hell do it up. You will know by third gear.

If you decide to ship, I’ve used Passport Transport four times getting cars from VA to CA. Enclosed transport and about 2k. If you go open transport it’s about 13-1500 with carrier brokers like Montway.

If you decide to ship, I’ve used Passport Transport four times getting cars from VA to CA. Enclosed transport and about 2k. If you go open transport it’s about 13-1500 with carrier brokers like Montway.

Awesome. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

Sounds like an adventure. I would! Hell, I flew from NE Iowa to Dallas and bought a tool truck and drove it home. It was a adventure but no issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back