• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am i in for a transmission rebuild?

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:08 AM
Reaction score
Summer is coming so i'm getting ready to do some work on the charger in my driveway.

Unfortunately the transmission in my 69 charger (440, 727) is doing this:

Is this internal or could it need some linkage adjustment etc.?
It's doing it since i got the car.

Maybe i should do a transmission oil & filter change and put in some lucas transmission fix?

I got no lift so i do not want to pull the transmission out really.

Looking to start working on the car on wednesday,
hopefully it still starts up after sitting for a couple months. :D

Start the car and check the fluid level while in neutral. Not park, neutral.

I had one 727 that was slipping. Changed the filter and fluid and all was good. Do this on a GM and it won't move afterwards.

I have no time for that stupid clown.

NOW, what's going on with your transmission sir.

I have no time for that stupid clown.

NOW, what's going on with your transmission sir.

I wrote that down from the video:

scotty kilmer said:
If you're driving down the road, especially when you're accelerating and it shifts gears and goes "errrrr BANG" the transmission is going out.

That's what mine does, but i hope its not going out.

He also says if you're low on fluid it might just be the problem.

If i recall correctly i already checked the fluid level last year. (Already had the problem back then)
But of course this will be the first thing i check. I highly doubt its just low on fluid, though.
Doing a fluid and filter change and if this doesn't help adding some lucas transmission fix will probably be my next steps.

I'm interested if there could be a problem with the linkage(s) or something?
Something i should look out for?

If i recall correctly i already checked the fluid level last year. (Already had the problem back then)
But of course this will be the first thing i check. I highly doubt its just low on fluid, though.
Doing a fluid and filter change and if this doesn't help adding some lucas transmission fix will probably be my next steps.

I'm interested if there could be a problem with the linkage(s) or something?
Something i should look out for?
If it starts properly in park and neutral, shift linkage is likely good.
Kick down linkage? I guess that's a possibility. Super easy to check that, make sure it goes all the way back , when throttle is wide open.
Fluid and filter change? Highly unlikely that will change much.
The Lucas stuff may help, if it's hardened seals creating the problem.

Kick down linkage? I guess that's a possibility. Super easy to check that, make sure it goes all the way back , when throttle is wide open.

Can this also create problems while not using kickdown? Because it also "bangs into gear" without using kickdown.

Can this also create problems while not using kickdown? Because it also "bangs into gear" without using kickdown.
Correct. You should
Never
Ever
Ever
Drive without that on properly .

Michael, you seem to have multiple symptoms. Low fluid sure seems like a main one. Be sure you on fairly level ground when checking the fluid level. Let it warm up in neutral. Check it twice on the dipstick.
Kickdown has nothing to do with "banging into gear". That's from getting fluid to the clutches. Kickdown adjustment can screw up your shift points and shift quality.

Could be that the kickdown is messed up. Someone took notice off that when i had the car on a lift 1-2 years ago.
But i thought its not so important as long as i don't do a kickdown.

Will be amongst the first things i check.

Well i guess i know what to do now and in what order. :)

But i thought its not so important as long as i don't do a kickdown.
This is not so.... You need a service manual for your car, and a 727 rebuild/hop-up book would make good reading for you.

What if i did 200-300 miles? :D

If you drove 200-300 miles with no throttle pressure on the kickdown lever on the transmission then you have likely cooked your tranmission, doesn't matter if you ever use kick down/passing gear or not the transmission needs that pressure or it will fail quickly.

If you drove 200-300 miles with no throttle pressure on the kickdown lever on the transmission then you have likely cooked your tranmission, doesn't matter if you ever use kick down/passing gear or not the transmission needs that pressure or it will fail quickly.

But it has not been getting worse.

Well i will know more pretty soon.
Can't wait to see the inside of the transmission pan aswell.

Michael, I see you live in Germany.
Contact Moparshop.de for getting the right transmission oil (and parts if required) since they sell the right stuff.
Do not use any general ATF fluid.
They might also assist you with any questions, they are always very helpful with me

First thing is to ensure your fluid level is correct, let it idle first and warm up a bit and check the fluid level with the transmission in Neutral to ensure you see the actual level.
Next thing is to ensure your kick down linkage is functional and properly adjusted to ensure the transmission gets the throttle pressure. (with carb at full open, the kick down linkage should be nearly fully pushed towards the back)
Driving without it will cause damage to the transmission.
See if that helps to reduce the rough shifting first.
An oil and filter change is likely not going to help, but if you can sort the problem first you can do that later on.

Michael, I should have been more clear in post #10, the kickdown is very important as Wietse said. If that is not at least approximately correct, you will severely damage the trans. Looking at the pan contents, may or may not give any indication of the trans condition.

The easiest way to destroy a 727 is to drive without the kickdown hooked up and adjusted.

If it starts slipping 2-3, it's already toast.

Without running a few simple test for some of us. That some transmission shops refuse to do. Expect a complete rebuild. That's all they want to do anyway.

Auto Transport Service
Back