• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I the only person in the world to not care about Game of Thrones?

eeafdb032d724c65c51cda621b0dcd0d.jpg

I must be getting old.
I always loved "B" movies in the old days - the cheesier, the better for a Friday night
pizza and beer get together with friends of like mind.
The worse the flick was, the funnier we found it to be. Good times...
Blame MST2K (Mystery Science Theater 2000, the old TV show where the hosts mocked
bad movies), I guess.
I still dig Bruce Campbell stuff. The TROMA bunch were always good for that sort of thing, too,
because they always did their stuff with a sense of humor, like they were in on the joke, too.

These days, I'm more into well-written stuff. Thought-provoking story telling.
Instead, all they seem to crank out anymore (because it's what sells, of course) is all this
shallow, mindless pablum, mostly based on some make-believe critters or characters.
Well, I'm over all that Harry Potter/Dungeons N Dragons/werewolf/vampire/zombie/superhero/CGI crap,
I really am.
It doesn't seem like they spend more than five minutes writing any of that and instead rely on
the glittery, flashy, loud stuff to sell the show. The kids eat it all up, after all.
It's all very low brow and to be perfectly honest, very insulting to the intelligence of the audience.
Pass....

Give me a well-written, well thought out story every time. It doesn't actually have to be from a true
story, but it should at least be credible and compelling.
There's some really good series that have come along, with great writing and acting.
Justified was one. Hell on Wheels another. Whether you liked the subject matter or not, Breaking Bad
and Better Call Saul were/are extremely well done shows.
We're keeping up with some now thanks to Netflix and Amazon Prime.
Bosch is one with very well developed characters and deep, thought provoking writing.
Fargo, both the movie and the series. Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton.
The list goes on.
I disagree with whomever tagged You with a red x.
As for (Harry) *Bosch*, I've never seen the show since I don't watch TV, but I've read every Michael Connelly *Bosch* novel.....they be *the **** Mon*! Bosch & Nelson deMille's *John Corey* are my absolute favorite characters from print....two non conformist rebellious Detectives Who get the job done, blowing the doors off Their peers. Have been hoping for a long time that Connelly & deMille will collaborate & combine the forces of Harry & John.

I disagree with whomever tagged You with a red x.
As for (Harry) *Bosch*, I've never seen the show since I don't watch TV, but I've read every Michael Connelly *Bosch* novel.....they be *the **** Mon*! Bosch & Nelson deMille's *John Corey* are my absolute favorite characters from print....two non conformist rebellious Detectives Who get the job done, blowing the doors off Their peers. Have been hoping for a long time that Connelly & deMille will collaborate & combine the forces of Harry & John.
I disagreed with his implication that the show and books are not well written simply because they're in the epic fantasy genre. Unless you've read the books or watched the show, you're not qualified to have an opinion on how well they are or are not written. That is all.

I disagreed with his implication that the show and books are not well written simply because they're in the epic fantasy genre. Unless you've read the books or watched the show, you're not qualified to have an opinion on how well they are or are not written. That is all.
No wait a damn second... what about the keyboard commandos and all entitled opinion spewing folk that are out there...:popcorn:

Game of Thrones - have a lot of friends that watch And encouraged me to par take. Never watched because I’m just not into that genre. It sure has made quite a stir though in the TV world. I’ve been to several of the places they do their shooting - Croatia and Slovenia. Fantastic sites and great places to visit. Just not into the show itself.

Nope!!! I haven't watched any of it and don't care to either. Just MS TV is all and why so many get so wrapped up in it is beyond my comprehension. Even though that is a limited asset...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Game of Thrones is an extremely well written story. It has an enormous amount of plot twists and different story lines woven together. It's actually a series of very long novels that's been turned into a tv show. I started reading them back in the late nineties. I remember being mocked for reading a book "bigger than the bible" by someone who is now a huge fan of the show... While the show has stayed fairly true to the books, they left out a large amount of stuff and a couple seasons ago they actually got past the point in the story that has been published by the author. Apparently he gave them a copy of the overall plotline to work off of.

Anyway, obviously you're entitled to your own opinion and it's fine if you don't enjoy epic fantasy type stories. I wouldn't expect most of the mopar guys here to be into that sort of thing. However, don't insult something as not being "well written" or "well thought out story" when you haven't read it and don't know what you're talking about.
Oooooh, a dreaded red "X" eh? I must have hit a nerve.
red x club small.jpg

A "well-written story" about nekked chicks and dragons and stuff, you say? All righty then...
:lol:
Got a little worked up, did we?
Well, for your misinformed information, the wife made me sit through a chunk of the first season of that
childish tripe. She actually likes some of that vein of programming - but even she eventually bailed on it.
But...
Tell ya what, Sparky. Opinions are opinions and you're as welcome to yours as I am to mine. Adults express
opinions on any manner of things all the time without getting personal with their diatribes.
Kumbaya, all that jazz...
However, what you (or any other swinging dick on this planet) don't get to do is try to tell me what to do or what to say.
That isn't how it works in this fine country....
but please do feel free to come and try, ok?
Allllll righty then.:thumbsup:

GOT, Not my thing, I'm very well aware of it too...
Can't help but be...
Plastered everywhere...

I know a few people that watch GOT & love it

I have never seen a full episode, just couldn't get interested
maybe if I started from the beginning or had read the books

I did neither, so I'll never know

Never made it thru a Harry Potter book or Movie
just not my thing (don't care for the org. author broad at all)

never got into the vampire or zombies craze either
kids loved that stuff
most all that fantasy or off the wall cgi stuff, is just not my thing

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year I started watching a show 'Yellowstone'
on Paramount channel
About an influential modern day family of ranchers in Montana
& all the politics, his lawyer drunk daughter & her escapades,
for her father who has Indian reservation trying to take over his land too
& his son, married to an Indian lady...
Mostly all about the family patriarch...
Him & his people/family defending their property
from a corrupt wealthy NYC Douchebag Loser real estate Mogul attempts
to take over his fathers (Kevin Costner) legacy & land, some sex/nudity
lots of family dynamics etc. & all the rest going on around them...
It's very well made, in Montana, it's very well written too...

With Kevin Costner as the staring role 'patriarch & old time rancher'
has cancer & worried his kids will let the ranch & all he worked for go to ****,
dealing with all the change, trying to keep his land, his power & influences
& will do anything to save & keep it, even kill...
Politics, Horses, bears, cougars, action, guns, boobs,
some sex & nudity, cowboys & babes, his grandchildren,
lots of Ram Trucks (I think they sponsor it), little blood & guts :poke:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also really liked the Breaking Bad series
& Better Call Saul, takeoff of that series, about their shifty lawyer...
(my dad hates it, so I DVR it)

I rarely watch TV other than news, sports or car stuff, hunting/gun stuff
99% of the rest of my viewing, it is DVR'd,
so I can fast fwrd thru the BS

Last Man Standing (Tim Allen)

Alaska Bush People & Alaska The Last Frontier
my dad loves them 2 shows, he's planted in-front of the TV (too much)
those 2 sort of have a weird families,
but I got hooked on seeing what happens next, like a train/car wreck

Gold Rush

Swamp People

Gunny time
are all good series too

lots of stuff on the outdoor or military network
when nothing else is on & I'm bored

Most of what I watch is in the
Discovery Networks, History, Animal, Outdoor channels
or Motor Trend TV

very little Network TV ever

Last edited:
Everyone has their own set of interests, their own type of entertainment. Some like to read epic fantasy tales or other genres as well. I like to read, always have, the GOT books are epic in scope and cover a load of events and wide ranging plots that intertwine and work off of each other across the length and breadth of the books. While reading the series I took awhile to do it, took breaks from it to do other things, Mopar, and stuff. I find that it's a release valve for stress to do some mindless reading or watching of the film version of the books I have read. The show is not for everyone, of course, however it IS well written and acted/cast. The sets and locations are spectacular in they're own right, the costuming and gear are well thought out and fit well within the story. IMHO spending an hour each week in front of the device of your choosing to watch a highly regarded worldwide sensation of a show is not too much of a distraction from everyday manly pursuits. Lots of heroes and villains of both genders, lots of nudity, lots of blood and gore sword fights and epic battles. So, yes I have read the books and am watching the series when I have time. IMHO it's a worthwhile piece of entertainment for all of the above reasons.
Well done, sir.
See? A total difference of opinion from mine, yet stated without personal attacks like an adult.
Well done, sir.

Oooooh, a dreaded red "X" eh? I must have hit a nerve.
View attachment 751305
A "well-written story" about nekked chicks and dragons and stuff, you say? All righty then...
:lol:
Got a little worked up, did we?
Well, for your misinformed information, the wife made me sit through a chunk of the first season of that
childish tripe. She actually likes some of that vein of programming - but even she eventually bailed on it.
But...
Tell ya what, Sparky. Opinions are opinions and you're as welcome to yours as I am to mine. Adults express
opinions on any manner of things all the time without getting personal with their diatribes.
Kumbaya, all that jazz...
However, what you (or any other swinging dick on this planet) don't get to do is try to tell me what to do or what to say.
That isn't how it works in this fine country....
but please do feel free to come and try, ok?
Allllll righty then.:thumbsup:

Okay. You haven't read the books. You just admitted that you haven't even watched the entire first season of the show, which isn't as good as the books anyway. So obviously you wouldn't know if it's well written or not. It's a free country though, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, ignorant or not. Why on earth would I want to tell you what you can or can't say? We can agree to disagree. It's just books and a tv show, all for entertainment. I think you're looking for personal attacks where there are none.
Have a great day!
Get out and enjoy this nice weather in that sweet GTX or something!

Just had to re-scan my antenna tv, and I can't find that show. Maybe it's on one of the 78 non-english-speaking channels I had to delete.

Seriously, I have never given a dime to HBO in my life. When we finish our move, my girlfriend says she HAS to have HBO and Showtime for thrones and walking dead, she will pay the cable bill. We'll see.

Why does my phone automatically capitalize hbo and showtime? Are they wonderful or something?

Like say page back....no give rusty ****. Just as qualify to say b.s. as you say it good....opinion like asshole, everybody got.

What game can you play on a throne?
Except for taking a dump or puking..

Like say page back....no give rusty ****. Just as qualify to say b.s. as you say it good....opinion like asshole, everybody got.
Sure, you're just as qualified to have an opinion based on ignorance as Ed is. Like I said a page back, it's just some books and a tv show for entertainment. Some like it, some don't. It doesn't make any difference to anything in the long run. I don't really give a **** either. Have a great day!

Auto Transport Service
Back