• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMD Bumpers Good or Bad?

Rconzo

Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
I am looking to buy new bumpers for my 1968 GTX from AMD. Does anybody know how they really are. There seems to be a lot of people who say - they are no good but I am wondering if this is just the standard thing to say and is really not based off of any facts. I read they are 13 guage steel (don’t know if same as original) and they are plated w Copper Nickel and Chrome. Any thoughts before I buy a front and rear set at a $1000

F390A438-2FB7-4745-8EBF-B61B8B4D795A.jpeg

Nothing wrong with them despite the negative Nancys.

Just paint the back sides with Aluminum/Silver Rustoleum/Tremclad to seal them as bumpers rust from the back through..

AMD front, rechromed rear (by the best chrome shop in Canada). Can you tell any difference?? The rechroming of my OE rear bumper cost me twice what the AMD front bumper did!!
beerestoration2018 2130.JPG

beerestoration2018 2143.JPG

beerestoration2018 2170.JPG

More good facts! Very helpful as I am in need of both front and rear bumpers for my project. RUFFCUT

My AMD front bumper is as nice as the more expensive re chromed rear bumper.

I have NOT got any experience yet with the AMD, but i am gonna buy both a front and rear for my 69 roadrunner. Both front and rear would be less than having one straightened and chromed here, ESPECIALLY here in cali. I just wish i had bought them from summit when the were $350 each, instead of $475!

I have both front and rear on my Challenger. Fit and finish is as good as the originals.

20151030_195111 (002).jpg 20170126_212400 (003).jpg

I have both front and rears on my Duster and have no complaints. If you look closely, you will find small flaws, but nothing serious. I wouldn't hesitate buying another set. Way cheaper than getting originals redone, and they will look just as good.

Rconzo ....I have amd available here in albany ny area can save you some money if want to drive from the island up here

Got F&R amd on my 68 R/R Not perfect but good for a driver. Would not fly @ Barret Jackson, if you care.

I purchased two rear bumpers from AMD and they both had two dents in them from where the bracket holes were punched and the tooling dies bent the flat area above the exhaust. 69 RR and I hunted good cores and sent them to a chrome shop to be fixed.

Got F&R amd on my 68 R/R Not perfect but good for a driver. Would not fly @ Barret Jackson, if you care.
You must have got a shitty one if it's only a "driver". If I'd received a "driver" quality I would have sent it back. I'm sure mine would fly at Barrett Jackson.
bee&birdjuly182019 039.JPG

Last edited:
I bought AMD front and rear bumpers for my 64 Sport Fury, and I am pleased with the quality and the fit. Earlier, some guy talked about buying them from Classic at a high price. That is very possible. However, I got mine when Classic offered 25% off, so that sweetened the deal.

No worries using them. I weighed a stock bumper and an AMD bumper and they were within 1 lb of each other. Chrome is excellent. The only negative I can think of is that the inside corners are welded instead of formed. Once it's on you won't see it.

Where’s a good place for a price for 66 Belvedere bumpers?

Like ANY product from any company, you CAN get a defective product occasionally. In this case, the rear bumper from AMD on my Super Bee about 6 or 7 years ago. The bumper was purchased and installed new from AMD after my original re-chromed bumper was damaged by the person installing it. After it was installed, I was inspecting it and found that the chrome plating was defective and peeling off on one corner. Could not understand how the person installing it did not NOTICE the defect. So, as I said, defects can and do happen with even the best of companies.

In defense of AMD, I made a telephone call to them and explained the problem along with sending them this photo of the defect and they agreed right away that it was a bad bumper. They sent out a replacement immediately and within a week or so I had the new replacement bumper installed, and all was good again. So at least in my case, their customer service was excellent and very responsive.

Now here I am 6 years later and there are NO problems so far with that replacement AMD bumper. Here's the photo of the defect.

PA220001.JPG

I think you can get good or bad with AMD. I bought AMD bumpers for both my Challengers and I was really happy with my orange car but not my green one's rear bumper as it was mishapen in the middle and was flat through the center when it should have a slight bow to match the tail lights. So I would recommend you buy them but from a dealer that will work with you to return one and get a good one if you get one that doesn't fit. Chrome and finishing was on par with a new factory (yes I remember buying them from a Chrysler dealer) bumper.
You need a good dealer, I had an issue with a 68 Charger door not fitting (the inner shell was cut wrong and mounted 3/4" forward of where it should have been in regards to the door skin) and the AMD dealer basically told me to get stuffed on it, so make sure your dealer will stand behind the product if you get a bad one.

Great info here guys. Thanks

I think I’ll go AMD instead of rechrome.

Who was the dealer that really gets you good deals on AMD? I think @Propwash and others used him.

Any suggestions on others for good customer service and price? Feel free to PM if you want.

Auto Transport Service
Back