• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMD door skin on a 68 coronet?

Robking

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:21 AM
Reaction score
Hey folks, my driver door is badly "mushed in", however I think the bones of the door are intact. At first glance it would seem that a door skin would be the ideal solution, but most threads I've read sound like the lines rarely line up, etc. Has anyone specifically used an AMD door skin on a 68, and if so would you do it again? :) Lot of money to spend on something that might look like crap.

Both my doors are done with new AMD skins on my '69. If I remember correctly the skins where only $400 Canuck dollars each.
beerestoration2019part2 892.JPG

beeresto2016bodyshop 1005.JPG
beeresto2016bodyshop 1009.JPG
beeresto2016bodyshop 1010.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful! Thanks for the picture. They seem to line up really well. I was thinking I would be best off rebuilding my hinges
first, and hanging the frame on the car to tweak the skin alignment before spot welding it.

Yep, make sure your hinges are good with the original door. Set the original door up nice and then drill a pilot hole in each hinge for line up. Then get the new skin folded over and into place on the door shell, door hung using the pilot holes and move the new door skin around any to line up. Then clamp and weld in place.
bee&birdjuly182019 062.JPG

Last edited:
Good advice on the pilot hole. Thanks again for the pictures, gives me hope that at least mine *could* turn out ok, but with me doing it....

Then get the new skin folded over and into place on the door shell, door hung using the pilot holes and move the new door skin around any to line up. Then clamp and weld in place.
View attachment 958351
I did this with AMD door skins for my charger and I must have folded the metal over to much as my skins will not move around..... So just something to think about

heres a tip...........after folding the edges, do NOT tack weld anything unless the door is hung on the car; and do NOT use adhesive ........with the door and skin on the car, the door will "twist" and "flex"........you will be able to twist/flex the door into the best possible alignment; it will affect the height at the rear of the door, and alignment at the rocker and the quarter......at this point a few tack welds will hold the door rigid and in the proper shape, it will no longer twist.......... there is a TON of wiggle room, and prematurely tacking the skin will have you pulling your hair out.......i've probably done close to 20 B, E, and A body door skins, doors with the crash a bar inside will be much stiffer, but the same applies.........you will thank me later

Last edited:
heres a tip...........after folding the edges, do NOT tack weld anything unless the door is hung on the car; and do NOT use adhesive ........with the door and skin on the car, the door will "twist" and "flex"........you will be able to twist/flex the door into the best possible alignment; it will affect the height at the rear of the door, and alignment at the rocker and the quarter......at this point a few tack welds will hold the door rigid and in the proper shape, it will no longer twist.......... there is a TON of wiggle room, and prematurely tacking the skin will have you pulling your hair out.......i've probably done close to 20 B, E, and A body door skins, doors with the crash a bar inside will be much stiffer, but the same applies.........you will thank me later
ok now that makes sense, I was thinking that the skin should slide around (fore and aft and up and down)

Exactly eldubb, what I was conveying in my 2nd post about installing the door with the skin simply in place before welding.

Wow guys, can't thank you enough, so glad I started this thread. Because I didn't take this car apart, the whole process of putting the front clip back together is pretty daunting. I will have to do all that just to get to the point of working on the door.

I test fitted the AMD full door assemblies on my former 70 Road Runner, and they fit very well we installed the glass and vent window frames and they fit well too. The body lines lined up nicely, and the door gaps wereas good as Chrysler ever had them. They might need a little work on the gaps depending on your desired door gaps, and what rear quarters are on your car,and how they were installed.

I test fitted the AMD full door assemblies on my former 70 Road Runner, and they fit very well we installed the glass and vent window frames and they fit well too. The body lines lined up nicely, and the door gaps wereas good as Chrysler ever had them. They might need a little work on the gaps depending on your desired door gaps, and what rear quarters are on your car,and how they were installed.
From everything posted here so far, I think I will probably be pretty happy with stock fit up (just hoping to build a nice street ride nothing show quality). That Hot Rod article that coronet68mx posted was pretty impressive, they actually cut slits in the top of the quarter panel to improve the door alignment. Way out of my league.

Auto Transport Service
Back