• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMD Frame Rail Question

AGillySuit

Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
So my '69 will be needing front frame rails sadly and I'm looking for some to weld in. Was looking into the AMD replacements and heard there may be some issues with them possibly being mis-manufactured to be too short or some such errors? I figured there might be a little light modding required with anything aftermarket but them possibly being too short out of the box is somewhat less than ideal.

Any truth to these rumors? Or was this something that was noted and corrected in the past?

I have used both amd and goodmark rails in the last year, both have length issues. mostly due to the flanges at the torsion crossmember being bent sloppy, also have found some the "k" frame mounting plates to be off set of the rail center lines .causing the measurements to be off . If you don't find anyone to install the rail I have a shop in toronto with a b body frame jig.

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

I bought an AMD torsion bar cross member for my 68 Charger. It was short side to side and the sockets for the torsion bars were at a different angle than the stock cross member. I sent it back and bought a clean original...

Find a set of original rails, they are out there. I always use OEM over AMD metal if possible.

I bought an AMD torsion bar cross member for my 68 Charger. It was short side to side and the sockets for the torsion bars were at a different angle than the stock cross member. I sent it back and bought a clean original...
Hi, how's the project going? I also have a 68 charger that I'm trying to get back on the road. By chance do you have a back passenger side frame rail you're not going to use? I need the back 50 inches not the whole frame rail. Thanks!

It's going well, getting closer to paint. I don't have any of the rails that I pulled out of the car anymore. The rears of my rails had some pinholes anyways so I changed them and scrapped the originals...

Auto Transport Service
Back