• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMD Rear Glass Patches

Speedbird

Bird of Pray
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
Edited original post for simplicity.
The external pieces don't seem to fit but after I remove the original metal they might be better.

These inner pieces don't seem to be in existence anymore on either side if they ever were there.
Perhaps a stupid question but are they an original part?
They came with a "set" so I assumed they were originally there.
How DO they mount?
Thanks.

20220216_141651 (Large).jpg 20220216_141700 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
At first I thought you meant they're fiberglass!!!
Anyway , carry on. Make em work.

Thanks.
To be clear the RED circled tab end of the piece goes on top of the lower frame and the white circled area goes UNDER the quarter panel during assembly?
There appears to be some of the original piece under the quarter panel flange. (With white arrows.)
Left top piece happens to be laying there.

20220217_072419 (Large).jpg
20220217_072844 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
Yes that is correct, I'm almost certain. when you tack weld the piece in place be sure to check the glass fitment before welding it in permanently. This area is important so the corner of the glass fits correctly. Ask me how I know. LOL. I put duck tape around the edge of the glass while I check my fitment. Just to keep from bumping the edge of the glass and shattering it.

Thank you for the help.
Very nice car and pictures.
In different circumstances I would have replaced the entire quarters.
It's not a question of money alone but one of the current supply issues, preservation and that I'm running out of time on this my last project car.

Oh I understand, I went to the shop today at lunch and took a better picture of the location of the corner piece. Hope this helps. And thanks for the compliment.
FAC74127-8C50-457D-9380-8F827B47475C.jpeg

Does anyone have some pictures of what this looks like from the underside on an original car?
Right is tacked in .
Left for ref.
I feel sure the factory only spot welded the filler to quarter skin in the glass channel.
This aft part probably just "floated"?
The gap between the filler and the quarter skin is what I'm not sure of.
Seems like it should be flush or contacting the quarter.
Thanks
I figure as long as the original "lip" is on the quarter that will give me a point of reference for the "Dutchman"
Thanks.
20220307_075830 (Large).jpg
20220307_075940 (Large).jpg
20220307_080036 (Large).jpg

Here is what I did. I made that bottom, L-shaped lower piece and welded it in. (You don't need that little section underneath because that larger patch corner already has that bottom part already.) Then, I welded the upper corner piece on. It's that lower corner section that you showed a pic of. That lower corner section was well made and fit perfectly.

left corner cut.jpg left patch welded.jpg

Last edited:
Here is how everything came out, painted and all.

left corner.JPG

I did same as GMP. Made a cardboard template for the corner flat piece to get the shape correct, cut that out of metal and welded it in, then installed the AMD piece on top of that, first with sheetmetal screws/then welded after fit was verified, and then the quarter on top of all that.

Pics show opposite sides of the car but both sides required the same thing....

In the end we have three layers of lap joints, all bare metal, with (on a good day) a tiny bit of overspray on the back side...I guess it is no mystery why they rust out in that spot.

quarter1.jpg quarter2.jpg quarter3.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back