• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Racing Wheels---Custom Size???

Propwash

Local time
6:46 PM
Reaction score
Hey fella's....Need a little imput.

I'm looking at possibly buying a set of American Racing Torq-Thrust D. 15" x 8.5"...All the these size rims they sell via internet vendors, show a backspacing of 3.75". Well, I need/want 4.5" (car is '69 Roadrunner). Can a guy have them special ordered for a 4.5"?

Also, with a 15" X 7" on the front, what kind of backspacing is needed up there? (W/Disc brakes)

I went on their website and then contact, but under the contact page there is no email link or phone#.

Thanks for the help guys

just be ready to sit down,custom wheel size and backspace can get stupid expensive through big companys.

You should check with Summit or JEGs before ordering. 4.5" BS is not that uncommon and they may have it in stock.

just be ready to sit down,custom wheel size and backspace can get stupid expensive through big companys.

Well...yeah. Dude didnt say it would be CHEAP.
Don't go only by the sizes listed in retailers catalogs. They'll only give ink to the sizes that will sell the most. They usually have other sizes/specs available, they're just not in the catalogs.The manufacturers all have websites and you can contact them directly (part of your original post). I spent a LOT of time on WheelVintiques website wading through endless diameter, width, bolt pattern and backspacing options when I ordered my wheels (all that for a set of steelies!). A custom rim width could get expensive, they have rims already made. But on a two piece wheel, the backspacing is strictly a product of where they place the wheel's center in the rim, they can put it anywhere they (or you) want it. No big news there, just putting in my .02.:toothy10:

Try this Tool

Hey fella's....Need a little imput.

I'm looking at possibly buying a set of American Racing Torq-Thrust D. 15" x 8.5"...All the these size rims they sell via internet vendors, show a backspacing of 3.75". Well, I need/want 4.5" (car is '69 Roadrunner). Can a guy have them special ordered for a 4.5"?

Also, with a 15" X 7" on the front, what kind of backspacing is needed up there? (W/Disc brakes)

I went on their website and then contact, but under the contact page there is no email link or phone#.

Thanks for the help guys

15x7" w/3-3/4"-4" on the front look & worked well for me on my 68 RR, I've done both... I have had as much as a 255/60/15's on 15x7" w/4" BS on the front with no rubbing issues {I have 245's on 15x7" with 3-3/4" BS now, I like the look much better}, also have 295/50/15's on rear 15x9" w/4.5" BS, you can go even bigger than that, if you measure everthing correctly, you can go to 11"wide w/5.5" BS in the rear with the right rim & tire combo, I think 4-1/4" BS & 245's would work with Discs, they sit out 1/4" or so farther than drums, but 4-1/2" BS I think would be pushing it on the front.... There is a great tire fitment tool from Percey, Summit Racing sells them for like $70, you can get exact tire & rim size fits & sizes, with no more guessing on what will or won't fit on any car not just the RR "great useful tool"... Also try Stockton Wheel in Calif. they can make any offset you want....

Last edited:
Hey guys...Thanks for all the info. I did use the number that cam383 provided and got a hold of them... Bad news. The torq-thrust D is a one piece cast and only comes with that backspacing. I would have more options with the Torq-thrust II, but i'm just not a huge fan.

So the search continues.....Thanks again guys!

i think its the torque thrust 309 that is 2 piece and can be ordered in different backspaces. i don't remember the exact cost but thinking its close to $300 a wheel for for 8"-4.5 backspace.

i think newstalgia wheel has them. there used to be a cl205 wheel that could be had in different backspace. i was at the indy goodguys in sept and there was a guy out of kentucky (like a dummy i threw away his business card) and he had some torque thrust clones; two 15x6 and two 15x8-4.5 backspace, for $500. they were supposedly chinese licensed copies. last i heard all american racing wheels are chines now.

American Racing Wheels chinese???? Well the hell with that then!

Thought about these........US Wheels, made in the USA!

usw-48-5709_w.jpg

check into halibrand. they used to have variable backspaceing. i almost bought a set and wish i had. ebay used have some, but they're getting pricey.

Hey Will i might be able to set you up with some slots.lol

A friend told me yesterday that there out again. Said he looked on Summit Racing and it says, ships tomorrow. I didn't look yet tho.

Auto Transport Service
Back