• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amount of oil in the pan?

Rusty 72

Local time
9:40 AM
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm installing a new oil pickup and oil pan in a 360 magnum swap. The service manual reads that the pump pick up needs to be a certain distance from the bottom of the pan? Is this so it clears or so it is always covered with oil? (I know it needs to be covered in oil) How much oil is actually in the pan when its running? I just eyeballed it and put the pan on. Now I'm having second thoughts about measuring it? or do I need too?

Also the pickup threaded on by hand and seemed to be tight but another full turn would be really tight. Should I put plumbers tape in the threads? I was thinking that any leakage from there is gonna go back in to the pan if there's any at all?

Thanks in advance, Jeanette

Mopar Action tech editor Rick Ehrenberg suggests to place the pickup directly against the pan because the screen is recessed slightly. To have the pickup sitting away from the pan is akin to having your drinking straw an inch from the bottom of the glass.

Mopar Action tech editor Rick Ehrenberg suggests to place the pickup directly against the pan because the screen is recessed slightly. To have the pickup sitting away from the pan is akin to having your drinking straw an inch from the bottom of the glass.
And leakage at the pick up will be air leakage and a break in suction. Air does not lube bearings!
Mike

But wouldn't putting it against the bottom of the glass restrict flow? I've never done this, but it would seem to me that 1/4" - 1/2" above the bottom would facilitate better flow, especially at high RPM.

The stock pickups have a head with a recess built into it and a raised edge about 25% of the diameter. This allows enough area for adequate flow.

oil  2.jpg
oil 1.jpg
oil 3.jpg

If you can grab the pickup tube and rotate it by hand its to loose. You do not want it floating around in there.
Myself I would not use any tape or dope on the threads. If its getting scary tight and not level cut 2 or 3 threads off the threaded end & blow it out with air and re install and tighten it into position.
jmho.

And leakage at the pick up will be air leakage and a break in suction. Air does not lube bearings!
Mike
However if your oil level is low enough to cause that problem, you have bigger issues to deal with rather than if the pick up tube is 1/8 inch higher or lower.
Like maybe you're a little low on oil?

I set mine about 1/8" to 3/16" off the bottom. This is a 5" deep pan.
IMAG0869.jpg

My tube screwed into the block snug but I was afraid to go another round. Cleaned inside the threads and threads on the tube with parts cleaner and used red loctite. Had the pan off recently and it's still where I had tightened it two years later.

I just looked this up in the shop manual the other day. I'll have to confirm the exact verbiage but I seem to recall they want the pick-up against the pan with no gaps.

Thanks everyone! I haven't added any oil yet so its no big mess to pull the pan and orient the pickup correctly. I will put it against the pan.

When setting the pickup tube, don’t forget to account for the gasket or windage tray and gaskets thicknesses.

Auto Transport Service
Back