• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An easy made Spark plug grabber!

idrivemopar

Local time
12:54 PM
Reaction score
I thought I would share this for those that may not have a tool to get hard to reach spark plugs.

I learned this trick back in the 80's when my buddy was changing the plugs on his 70 Mach 1, and because of the tight space and exhaust manifolds, it was almost impossible to get the spark plugs in and out with a conventional or swiveled reach socket even the ones with the rubber ring inside. He even bought a specialty tool that was for removing the spark plugs, but it didn't work worth a damn, so he made a grabber out of a piece of stiff rubber hose.

Now fast forward to the future, and cars and trucks with coils on plugs, and as I recently discovered working on my neighbors Dodge Ram 4.7, it has COPs, and the spark plug tube is pretty deep. I was easy enough to get the plugs loose with a standard deep socket, but didn't have one that would hold the plug so I couldnt remove it let alone start a new one. So I had a flashback and I remembered my buddies trick and used that method to get the plug out of the tube. Its also handy to start the plug with out worrying if you are cross threading while using a socket. This one is a 5/16 inner diameter hose and I glued it into a larger hose to have better grip. Worked great and made changing the plugs a very easy!
1252.jpg

Back 30 some years ago I bought a tool that champion made for the same purpose. I think it was 3or 4 bucks. Still have it, it's solid rubber with a screwdriver type handle.

Hi fellas,
For 50 years or so I have been using the bottom half of the rubber adapter used to fit on a cow's teat when milking. I'm using the same one but I don't know if they are even used with today's technology. Still soft and flexible to this day!
Mike

Hi fellas,
For 50 years or so I have been using the bottom half of the rubber adapter used to fit on a cow's teat when milking. I'm using the same one but I don't know if they are even used with today's technology. Still soft and flexible to this day!
Mike
Damn Mike. Them cows must of had some pretty small teats, or you got some big plugs!

(Just kidding, I know what you're talking about :D)

Auto Transport Service
Back