• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And I thought our full sized cars were pricey...

Time to start digging through some old boxes.

20 grand?!?!?!?!?

source.gif

I don't see those being worth any were near that. Maybe a few grand a piece. But he is just advertising at this point. One thing I have noticed, the strange thing with redline hot wheels is that they seem to go for more money when sold in lots (at least on ebay). General rule being that the opposite is usually true for collectables.

Roger dodger is a one year 73 only car I guess he is saying blue is a very rare color. Seems like he is saying the same for the 442, blue being exceptionally rare & desirable. The mustang has louvered windows which is what is notable about that car. I am not an expert but it seems like he is talking them up considerably. Redlines can be rare but not once in a lifetime type rare unless they are a prototype.

For 20K I will put that toward the real thing. Damn a toy.

I’ve sold several Redline hotwheels.
I sold an “army staff car” (72 olds, if I’m not mistaken) for 400 bucks on eBay several years back.
Apparently, it’s a hard one to find.
I know a guy from bicycle collecting that sold a hotwheels collection for north of 200,000.

Crazy what folks will pay to relive a part of their childhood.

What I hate about these, and similar eBay ads is this:
Someone will see this ad and suddenly “ ...these are going for $20K on eBay now”.
Uummmm... nope.
Someone is WANTING $20K for one. Different then SELLING one for $20K.
I’ve seen this happen countless times.

If the Blue Rodger Dodger was mint and original which that is not. 8 grand is the going rate. In that condition maybe 550.00 The Olds 442 in blue is a 500 dollar car mint. About 1500. The Mustang with a louvered ribbed rear glass top 300.00 mint would be 1500.00.

only if there original refinished cars bring nothing. Chipped cars bring next to nothing.

its not impossible to find ones in better condition for less money.

I find those often and do sell them as well.

few this. Its a good idea of what these go for as clean Cars
http://redlinespoilers.com/1000.html

Last edited:
I’ve sold several Redline hotwheels.
I sold an “army staff car” (72 olds, if I’m not mistaken) for 400 bucks on eBay several years back.
Apparently, it’s a hard one to find.
I know a guy from bicycle collecting that sold a hotwheels collection for north of 200,000.

Crazy what folks will pay to relive a part of their childhood.

And those things will be worth next to zero when our generation dies off. Today's collectibles are sneakers (don't ask me why?) and video game crap.

What I hate about these, and similar eBay ads is this:
Someone will see this ad and suddenly “ ...these are going for $20K on eBay now”.
Uummmm... nope.
Someone is WANTING $20K for one. Different then SELLING one for $20K.
I’ve seen this happen countless times.
Just like Barrett Jackson and Mecum, everyone thinks their ragged Charger that has sat in a field for the last 20 years is worth 100K. Not that there aren't some nice cars out there, but everyone of them is not high dollar or that rare.

And those things will be worth next to zero when our generation dies off. Today's collectibles are sneakers (don't ask me why?) and video game crap.
I agree 100%. Timing is everything with period specific collectibles.
I have a BMX bicycle collection I’ve built over the last 20 years. It’s worth approximately 80,000.
I never collected the stuff for financial reasons, but because I’ve always loved bicycles. Even so, nobody wants to leave money on the table.
That said, I’m in a conundrum at present about selling a lot of it off before the tide turns. Each item holds a place in the collection that is somewhat significant.

Who would be nuts enough to pay even half that much coin for a toy? Even the $8k is way too much in my opinion .....

This guy says some really funny stuff in the ad, like;
"only so many of these exist" No f'n sh*t!! Mind boggling, here's my 20 grand, lol

I agree 100%. Timing is everything with period specific collectibles.
I have a BMX bicycle collection I’ve built over the last 20 years. It’s worth approximately 80,000.
I never collected the stuff for financial reasons, but because I’ve always loved bicycles. Even so, nobody wants to leave money on the table.
That said, I’m in a conundrum at present about selling a lot of it off before the tide turns. Each item holds a place in the collection that is somewhat significant.

I’m in the same boat. I have a huge collection of tube radios and antique ham radio gear. Gonna be worth nothing because once my generation is done living nobody else wants this stuff.
Even in the old car hobby I see all the time: “Gonna leave my grandkids my hemi ‘cuda.”
Believe me, your grandkids don’t want your hemi ‘cuda, your old radios, or your stamp collection. They want the money. Do them, yourself, and some current collector a favour and sell the stuff now. At least someone that appreciates this stuff gets it and you can always leave the money to your family.

20K! .....$200 to ship the little bastards.....no way. Does the price include his crack pipe.......

I have a **** load of these hot wheels, well not these 3 specifically, and was just gonna give them to the grand kids once they arrive. Oh well.....

Auto Transport Service
Back