• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Annoying fuel bowl leak.

Canadian1968

Local time
2:10 AM
Reaction score
I am getting an annoying leak from the front float adjustment locknut/screw . It has a rebuilt nylon washer instead of paper gasket orginal. It a very small leak but it is there .

Any suggestions ?

Also... who runs a regulator with their setups. I am running a carter street strip mechanical . Trying to track down which one exactly wondering if I am getting a bit to much fuel pressure ?

Fuel pressure is not going to cause the leak. If anything it would blow past the needle and seat dumping up and out of the vent. I had to change my Carter pump 4862 to a lesser psi street strip pump 6903. I had excess pressure and flooding. You can buy sight bowl seals/gaskets. Start with the gaskets. If its running ok the pressure most likely is not excessive.

Do you have a photo of your fuel bowl showing your adjuster?

That's a video of engine from a few years ago it zooms in on the fuel bowl because it was leaking backn then to. It doesn't always leak, hence annoying part.

The car runs great .

Replace the washer and look closely for nicks or burrs on either the screw /gasket seal surface and the top of the fuel bowl. If the gasket doesn't seal it can only be a bad gasket or damaged seating surface(s).

It's just the front...

See that kit has 2 gaskets.... I think I'm missing one. One goes between the surface of the bowl and the adjustment nut. Then another between locking screw ? I don't know why but j feel like there was only 1 when I took it apart last

It's just the front...

See that kit has 2 gaskets.... I think I'm missing one. One goes between the surface of the bowl and the adjustment nut. Then another between locking screw ? I don't know why but j feel like there was only 1 when I took it apart last
That could be your problem.

It takes two gaskets. One goes under the screw head, the other under the nut. The hole size is different so you can't use two of the same gasket.

Think I finally got it . I took the nylon washer and lightly sanded it with some super fine sand paper , as well as the face of the adjusting nut. First try actually made it worse , I actually had this pin hole stream shooting out! Took it off and did some more . There really was nothing obvious, but obviously something was there between one of the surfaces. Will keep an eye on it but thing I got it . What a pain !

Auto Transport Service
Back