• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another 883 rebuild question....need help

64SF

Local time
12:43 PM
Reaction score
Need tips or tricks regarding the bearing retainer snap ring located on the front face of the tail housing.

FSM doesn’t provide a lot of detail or instruction. You’re supposed to compress it while sliding in the mainshaft and position in the groove. So far this is the most difficult step I’ve encountered

Yep pain in the *** needed two guys one to compress the ring and other to tap in. No holes in snap ring and very little room. Need narrow jaws to compress snap ring try to keep the bottom in the slot as you tap the assembly in maybe there is a special tool but it took us quite awhile to get it in.
Some trans have the slot on the bearing some on the case I think.

Thank you....you described it perfectly...PITA. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
883?
I thought they were all A833 but some with 18 spline and others with 23 spline input shafts?

These are specific snap ring pliers

image.jpg

Re read your post - sorry you meant tail shaft to sepperate , tool I sent won't work there are no edges or holes to grab .

Last edited:
That's a small bearing. I just use good, large needle nose pliers to compress snap ring, while tapping whole assembly in place. Then use a screwdriver to push bottom of snap ring ( through 2nd access slot) into place while seating top of snap ring with pliers. But I'm sure you got it in by now !

That's a small bearing. I just use good, large needle nose pliers to compress snap ring, while tapping whole assembly in place. Then use a screwdriver to push bottom of snap ring ( through 2nd access slot) into place while seating top of snap ring with pliers. But I'm sure you got it in by now !

Hopefully tomorrow....thanks for your tip.

Red read your post - sorry you meant tail shaft to sepperate , tool I sent won't work there are no edges or holes to grab .
I found a pair of pliers on Amazon. When I get the transmission buttoned up I’m going to post things I learned and tools I used as a rookie.

Auto Transport Service
Back