• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another bad electric car fire...

Oh great, it says the ones rendered dead by Ian are going to burst into flames - merely by
sitting there, corroding away...

It's their own damn fault for not putting them in a container full of rice before they used them.

hair-fire.gif

News out of Florida is they have almost 6 thousand failed battery powered cars that they are collecting and are attempting to store, from the salt corrosion from Ian. Said they have to be minimum 25 feet apart to help prevent the whole collection from burning up WHEN one explodes in to flames....

Better to go up in flames by the side of the road than in your garage in the middle of the night.

Wonder what the carbon footprint of a 1.5 hour lithium battery fire is, one that’s so hot it burns aluminum? And what toxic waste issues do you have disposing of the wreckage?

Asking for a friend.

Wonder what the carbon footprint of a 1.5 hour lithium battery fire is, one that’s so hot it burns aluminum? And what toxic waste issues do you have disposing of the wreckage?

Asking for a friend.
Good question you don't hear anyone asking.

Asking for a friend.

I read some article that was about EV fires in Europe and it’s pretty bad. The fire releases toxic fumes and as most know, it’s not a short term event. I believe they said it takes at least 10 times as much water to control an EV fire, which is in turn contaminated by the hazardous residue and runs off into lawns, storm drains and creeks. Some community fire departments are maintaining a large, water tight dumpster that they can transport to the site of an EV fire and use a crane with a grapple or a forklift to lift the smoldering EV and deposit it inside to flood it and smoother the fire. Then the whole mess has to be handled as contaminated water and debris. Just wait until one of these forthcoming 18 wheelers with their huge battery packs catches fire and has to be controlled.

This car will self destruct in 3 seconds.
Good luck, Jim!

I wouldn't put an EV of any kind in a garage or carport. Problem is, IF I were to spend the stupid $$$$$$$ for one, I'd certainly want to protect it from the elements and garage it like anything I'd be spending $100K on! A possible solution for garaging, if you have the room, would be a shipping container. Drive the code-enforcement gestapo in your town crazy! Like any fire, it requires oxygen to burn. Touch the container before removing your car, if it's hot, call the FD!

Good luck, Jim!

I wouldn't put an EV of any kind in a garage or carport. Problem is, IF I were to spend the stupid $$$$$$$ for one, I'd certainly want to protect it from the elements and garage it like anything I'd be spending $100K on! A possible solution for garaging, if you have the room, would be a shipping container. Drive the code-enforcement gestapo in your town crazy! Like any fire, it requires oxygen to burn. Touch the container before removing your car, if it's hot, call the FD!
Yes, most fires require oxygen, but unlike most fires, these batteries contain their own oxygen, combined as part of the crystal structure matrix bound with the metals. Also, much of the heat released isn't directly from flame, but from the energy being released as the electrical components short out. These things can be real problems.

Yes, most fires require oxygen, but unlike most fires, these batteries contain their own oxygen, combined as part of the crystal structure matrix bound with the metals. Also, much of the heat released isn't directly from flame, but from the energy being released as the electrical components short out. These things can be real problems.

Just another one of hundreds of reasons NOT to own the damned things! I'm not willing to risk having my house burn to the ground to "save the ******* planet" or whatever the current mantra is.

I read some article that was about EV fires in Europe and it’s pretty bad. The fire releases toxic fumes and as most know, it’s not a short term event. I believe they said it takes at least 10 times as much water to control an EV fire, which is in turn contaminated by the hazardous residue and runs off into lawns, storm drains and creeks. Some community fire departments are maintaining a large, water tight dumpster that they can transport to the site of an EV fire and use a crane with a grapple or a forklift to lift the smoldering EV and deposit it inside to flood it and smoother the fire. Then the whole mess has to be handled as contaminated water and debris. Just wait until one of these forthcoming 18 wheelers with their huge battery packs catches fire and has to be controlled.
Think about it this way.

You can't put AA BATTERIES in the normal trash.

What do you think is going to happen when these thousands of pounds' worth of toxic chemicals (aka EV battery packs) reach their end-of-duty cycle in 5-10 years?

Where are THEY going to go??

My work has a recycling point for home-use batteries, and the City has a recycling center for such things, too; as well as car batteries. The EV batteries??? Damned good question!

What is going to happen to insurance rates because of these things? I dont own one but I would bet good money that my rates will increase. Insurance companies will not focus the rates on EV users only.

Auto Transport Service
Back