• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another failed fiberglass hood

iraqivet01

Local time
1:01 AM
Reaction score
I'm starting to think no one can make a 6 pack hood right for my 68 Dodge Coronet.

First company, as bad as there QC was, they took back the hood and gave my money back after I email them the pictures.

Now Company #2 from California lip like it going on a Dart. After calling them, the to also take pictures and MAIL them, no email. So now I get to play the waiting game

frontofhoodthatisnotcorrect.jpg

badhood.jpg

I am giving them a chance to make it right before I start putting names along with their product and poor customer service.

Is their such a thing as a good fiberglass part? Some are better than others for sure, what's the main problem with this one? I see from your pictures that the edges don't look great, but most glass parts need filling and smoothing.

I think that hood is cast for a '69. The factory hood on a 68-9 is the same, but for '69, they added a filler piece to close in the grille. If you want, take some measurements, and you may find that you can make a straight cut across the bottom front of the hood, and it will work on your '68. Odds are they cast it for a '69 so it will fit both years car with slight mods.

I have heard Glasstek makes really good fitting fiberglass hoods avoid VFN though I hear they are junk.

I think that hood is cast for a '69. The factory hood on a 68-9 is the same, but for '69, they added a filler piece to close in the grille. If you want, take some measurements, and you may find that you can make a straight cut across the bottom front of the hood, and it will work on your '68. Odds are they cast it for a '69 so it will fit both years car with slight mods.

That's interesting! Didn't realize that. My '68 has a '69 grill on it. Now I need to take a look at the front of the hood - maybe it has a '69 hood as well.

I've been considering a bolt-on six pack hood myself. Lots of horror stories out there on poor quality hoods. I'd consider adding on the scoop to my flat steel hood, but those rarely look good or look good for long.

That's interesting! Didn't realize that. My '68 has a '69 grill on it. Now I need to take a look at the front of the hood - maybe it has a '69 hood as well.

I've been considering a bolt-on six pack hood myself. Lots of horror stories out there on poor quality hoods. I'd consider adding on the scoop to my flat steel hood, but those rarely look good or look good for long.

If you have a 69 grille and there isn't an opening along the lower section as well, they've also changed the lower valence. The '68 valence runs straight across because the 68 grille is the same width from side to side. The 69 grille is thinner between the headlights.

If I remember right, the filler piece is made out of like pot metal, and on some models, like the 440, it's polished to add more pop. I do remember it screws on from the bottom.

I measured it, and can cut off and straighten it out.
There is other things not right with the hood that not there like the center ridge and the whole front top is flat where it suppose to be raised then dip down.

So, who made this hood iraqivet01? I'd like to scratch it off my list as I would like the center ridge and a non-flattop scoop.

Now I've had VFN stuff and been very happy with it. I've had Unlimited Products 'glas parts that were OK and some of their parts were junk. Harry Glass is probably my favorite so far, but even That required some work to make it worthy of paint!

Harry Glass is probably my favorite so far, but even That required some work to make it worthy of paint!

I hadn't heard of them before, so I looked them up. Too bad they don't make any Mopar-specific pieces, at least according to their website.

So what happend to the hood? They take it back? I want to get a 6bbl hood on my car but these stories make me worry i'll get some POS

A couple months ago I bought a 69 Six pack lift off hood in Florida from a place called U.S. Bodysource.
It's not bad. Maybe I just got lucky (I haven't heard anyone but me using them), but I'm really pretty happy with what I got for the price I paid.
It's a backyard operation of sorts. They are big, but small, and they are way out in the middle of nowhere (probably to fool the EPA I'm sure).
They use plenty of fiberglas and plenty of resin. Plenty.
I paid $589 CASH, out the door.
However, customer service is not good. No one ever answers the phone, there is no address on the mailbox where they are, and they are soo far off the road (which is a back road) that it took me 20 minutes or more to just find their driveway.
And, I tried to buy another hood from them about 3 weeks ago for my 68, and they never even bothered to answer my emails. I guess they don't like guys who show up and pay CASH and don't ask for a box, to be shipped, bitch and complain, etc etc. (eye roll)

A couple months ago I bought a 69 Six pack lift off hood in Florida from a place called U.S. Bodysource.
It's not bad. Maybe I just got lucky (I haven't heard anyone but me using them), but I'm really pretty happy with what I got for the price I paid.
It's a backyard operation of sorts. They are big, but small, and they are way out in the middle of nowhere (probably to fool the EPA I'm sure).
They use plenty of fiberglas and plenty of resin. Plenty.
I paid $589 CASH, out the door.
However, customer service is not good. No one ever answers the phone, there is no address on the mailbox where they are, and they are soo far off the road (which is a back road) that it took me 20 minutes or more to just find their driveway.
And, I tried to buy another hood from them about 3 weeks ago for my 68, and they never even bothered to answer my emails. I guess they don't like guys who show up and pay CASH and don't ask for a box, to be shipped, bitch and complain, etc etc. (eye roll)

You must be talking about these guys: http://www.usbody.com/ In reading feedback from others on this company, most have said the quality is very poor (the worst I've read yet) and the customer service is nonexistent. I suppose they have all the business they need.

Must be nice (I wouldn't know).

I too have heard that the 68 hood differs from the 69 hood in the front.

Auto Transport Service
Back