• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another fuel sender rant.

wagonman

Local time
10:46 AM
Reaction score
Shaking down the 68 for the Reno trip, filled it with 93 premium and heading home the fuel gauge pegs past full, way past. Pulled the sender wire at the tank goes to empty. Ground it and goes to full. I have my 5 volts at the wire so wiring and gauge are good. The new sender never has read correct but I lived with it. So now its the Butt gauge of $20 an hour. Hope I dont run out of fuel in BFE. Anyone have experience with the Spectre unit? The avert says 10-90 ohms and guaranty to work with Mopar gauges. Rant Over...

Your tank is full and your gauge shows full, so what's the problem? Mine shows over full when it's full, again, what's the problem?
What's it show when the tanks 1/2 full?

When I filled it went to the normal Full line. Then on the way home it went WAY past, never did that before. I will check the circuit at the rear body connector by the left kick panel blue wire and I will bet it is real high resistance or a dead short to ground. I will report back.

With the sender reconnected 1.2 ohms at blue wire to the door jamb sw ground. Pretty much a dead short through the sender Huh?

Before you blame the sender go back to the sender and disconnect the blue wire and check directly from the sender wire terminal to ground. then with the blue wire disconnected and clear of the chassis check the resistance to ground on it

Will do Beekeeper but it will be tomorrow in the AM, just hit 105 and I am sweating like a loose lady in church.

Just checked the sender resistance 2.4 ohms to ground. Checked the blue wire at both ends and meter reads O.L. wich is Out of limits or not shorted to ground. I also did not like the funky ground strap at the sender so I made one from some 12 gauge and some mini hose clamps. 2.4 is out of spec so am I correct to condem the sender?

My new sender deflects full right when the tank is full, but so does the one on my 2008 Police Interceptor, so that's normal. What I'm wondering is if it hasn't been doing that before, maybe the sender was malfunctioning before and you didn't know it. Like the float arm wasn't fully extending and this last tank of gas pushed it to the stop?

I would suggest watching it to see what happens as you drive. If it stays at full, it's a bad sender. If it starts dropping it isn't. If it drops, wait till it gets to 1/2 tank and fill up and see how much gas you can put in.

yea that's low should be around 10 ohms when full. you've gotten another junk chinese sender
if you can find an original it's best to send it out to be rebuilt

Will do. I have been driving it for over a year and it has always been sketchy. Fill it drive till on empty and could only get 8-9 gallons in it. It is a 19 gallon tank. Talk about a reserve!!

Got a repop sender a year or so ago. When reassembly time came I noticed a lot of folks saying they had to bend the sender arm a tad to get them to read accurately. Well I decided to be proactive and bend it a little based on ohm readings before I put it in. Damm. Should have left it alone...it reads 1/2 with a full tank and when it first gets to 'E' it's about 1/2 full still...sheeesh it works perfectly fine, $35 from jegs...someday I'll fix it(back to ootb setting!)

Thanks Bean, I put some miles on it today to burn some fuel off, first time to 100 Hell Yeah. Anyway I am going to pull the filler neck and see if the float is stuck or ?? When I get to Reno and Summit they have a repop unit there. I will bring my DVOM with and check it before plunking down more $$ for more crapola. I can swap it out at my buddys house and not have to clench my butt cheeks between fuel stops on the way home. Gonna be sucking gas and hauling ***.

Bought my sending unit and tank from Rick @ Layson's, a vendor on this site. Used with a Stewart Warner fuel gauge and it's dead nuts accurate. And, yes, the tank is from Canada and the sender is from China.

Thanks Bean, I put some miles on it today to burn some fuel off, first time to 100 Hell Yeah. Anyway I am going to pull the filler neck and see if the float is stuck or ?? When I get to Reno and Summit they have a repop unit there. I will bring my DVOM with and check it before plunking down more $$ for more crapola. I can swap it out at my buddys house and not have to clench my butt cheeks between fuel stops on the way home. Gonna be sucking gas and hauling ***.
:thumbsup:

Well the Reno trip went well and did not run out of fuel of course we stopped at every station along the way. Was checking my mileage and got approx 14.7 pretty damm good for a 440 with 3.23s. The 727 has a Hughes Fuel Miser convertor so I guess that had something to do with it, we were avg about 65 to 75 mph with some long stretches over 80. Anyway went to Summit and picked up a new made in Tiwan unit from The Right Stuff. Measured it on the counter before buying and it was in spec. Got home and pulled the junk sender out and found the sheathing that insulates the hard wire from the rehostat to the pigtail connector was falling apart and the wire grounding on the pickup tube. Yup dead short to ground. I will try and isolate the hard wire from hitting so this wont happen again. Must be the Ethenol killing the sheathing. Its like heatshrink but probably China sourced. We shall see. I will post a pic when I get in phone range again. Thanks for all the help..

Auto Transport Service
Back