• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another garage..

747mopar

Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score
This one is for the wife but hey.. more stuff that can be unloaded from mine:thumbsup:. It will be 24'×28' with a bedroom above, 2' of stone wall then sided in poplar.

Thought some of you would enjoy seeing this rather unusual technique for using natural stones gathered from our woods. Last fall I did the footers, pad and block shooting to be above ground for spring, spring is here so here we go.

IMG_20210917_095539165_MP_copy_1208x1611.jpg
IMG_20210917_125353573_MP_copy_1691x1268_1.jpg
IMG_20210926_192217930_MP_copy_1912x1433_1.jpg
IMG_20210926_192409170_MP_copy_1510x2014_1.jpg
IMG_20220410_170525540_copy_1712x1284.jpg
IMG_20220410_170659522_copy_1777x1332.jpg
IMG_20220411_165558588_copy_1655x1242.jpg
IMG_20220411_165604957_copy_1661x1245.jpg
IMG_20220411_184134328_copy_1657x1243.jpg

Last edited:
I used stone on the first 4 ft of my cabin. Really enjoyed the process

I used stone on the first 4 ft of my cabin. Really enjoyed the process
That's beautiful!! I love how much difference there is from one area to another as far as stone shapes and colors goes and appreciate the authentic look of real materials vs fake. I remember hating the process when I built our home but this time around I'm enjoying it. Last time it was July-August and miserably hot and humid plus it was postponing getting a roof on. This time I planned a little smarter, cool weather and plenty of time.

How did you do yours, was it mortared? poured with concrete? cabin sitting on top of it?

That's beautiful!! I love how much difference there is from one area to another as far as stone shapes and colors goes and appreciate the authentic look of real materials vs fake. I remember hating the process when I built our home but this time around I'm enjoying it. Last time it was July-August and miserably hot and humid plus it was postponing getting a roof on. This time I planned a little smarter, cool weather and plenty of time.

How did you do yours, was it mortared? poured with concrete? cabin sitting on top of it?
I looked at many different methods, slip form etc. ended up pouring a footing and free formed the stones. 22 inches wide. As long as my stones had 2 flat sides and once I got the hang of it things went well. Used a sticky mortar and lots of time. Wish I had stones like yours, they look great and are big. Enjoy

That’s awesome. Can’t wait to start on mine. Lumber prices are still ridiculous though. Are you doing the work yourself or did you hire a contractor?

Love the stone work! One of my favorite looks, I did a fireplace and 30 ft tall chimney in a hunting lodge back in the 1980's. Loved the process. The 'float stone' on our fireplace and chimney is from around our property.

I looked at many different methods, slip form etc. ended up pouring a footing and free formed the stones. 22 inches wide. As long as my stones had 2 flat sides and once I got the hang of it things went well. Used a sticky mortar and lots of time. Wish I had stones like yours, they look great and are big. Enjoy
I was thinking the same about yours, yours looks really rustic like it would have been done which is what I was after where mine looks a bit more like cut stone. I'll have to take some pictures next time I'm in the woods to show you where they're coming from and why they're shaped the way they are. We have rocks as big as houses on the property.

That’s awesome. Can’t wait to start on mine. Lumber prices are still ridiculous though. Are you doing the work yourself or did you hire a contractor?
Doing it myself except the slab, I have a friend that cuts me a good deal if I take care of the forming, ordering materials and help put it down ($1 per square ft).

I know what you're saying, I bought a sheet of 7/16 OSB and some 2×4's to build a couple forms and was shocked, $40 for the OSB out of the value rack (damaged) and something like $7 each for the 2×4's!! Metal roofing is through the roof as well, it's going to hurt paying that. I'm seriously thinking about using rough cut poplar to frame it. Sad thing is I've got maybe $20 in materials to build that much wall and close to $100 in building some crappy forms, fortunately those forms will build it all.

Love the stone work! One of my favorite looks, I did a fireplace and 30 ft tall chimney in a hunting lodge back in the 1980's. Loved the process. The 'float stone' on our fireplace and chimney is from around our property.

That was my favorite part of the house to build, the fireplace.
20170923_124959.jpg
20180531_221921.jpg

Is the term “footers” a regional thing like soda-pop ?
Nobody calls them “footers” out here.
Footings... this is the word I see listed in numerous books and building blueprints.

Is the term “footers” a regional thing like soda-pop ?
Nobody calls them “footers” out here.
Footings... this is the word I see listed in numerous books and building blueprints.
Must be, I've only ever heard them called footers just like it's pop over here not soda pop. Footers, footings.. same thing.

I did a Google search (foundation footers) just out of curiosity and found many articles on both footers and footings so...

Last edited:
I figured it was regional.
I do understand that they refer to the same thing. I just noticed it being used by you and another member on the other side of the country.

I did a fence for a hillbilly woman that advised me to properly brace the posts so the fence wouldn’t be all “caddy wampus “.
Huh ??!

I did a fence for a hillbilly woman that advised me to properly brace the posts so the fence wouldn’t be all “caddy wampus “.
Huh ??!
I've heard that a few times.

Huh ??!
Understand completely....if you are off on your measurements by just a schoshe, your fence will be all caddy wampus. Clear as day to me.

For those that don't know, a schoshe is a unit of measure. It is equal to half a smidge.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back