• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another leaf spring post

Mhad2480

Local time
9:36 AM
Reaction score
I've done a fair share of looking through posts on here, but wondering if you guys can help me out. My '66 needs a bit of help as far as the suspension goes. I have the front figured out, but I'm unsure of exactly what I'd like to do for the rear leafs. I'm leaning towards the ESPO springs, but idk if I want +1" or +2" over the stock height since I really don't know what the stock height looks like on my car. Right now it has pretty saggy leafs & air shocks. Whatever springs I decide to go with, I'm planning to use QA1 adjustable shocks. Can anyone post some.pics of their car with +1 or +2 springs?

Pics of the current stance for reference. I like a little rake, but I don't want the back abnoxiously high.

20220806_083810.jpg

20220719_150308.jpg

20220719_150337.jpg

Looks great the way it is. Love the color

IMO I'd go with 1" over stock if you like a little rake. If its too high you can put blocks to lower it but 1" over I think will give you a nice stance. If no-one posts a picture of stock height then google your car and I'm sure you'll get multiple pictures of restored ones which would be height correct.

If you find someone whom has the correct height have them measure the middle of the wheel openings to the ground and compare that to yours.

Both leaf & coil springs can be 're-set' at a spring shop. No need to but new springs.

In my experience, re-achring saggy leaf springs is a waste of money.They will be back to their worn out state in a year or so. Buy a new set from ESPO and be done with it. I would go with stock height, that would probably look like what you have now. Definitely wouldn't go +2".

In my experience, re-achring saggy leaf springs is a waste of money.They will be back to their worn out state in a year or so. Buy a new set from ESPO and be done with it. I would go with stock height, that would probably look like what you have now. Definitely wouldn't go +2".
Yeah, from what I've read, re-arching is not worth the cost savings. I'd rather do it right the 1st time and not have to deal with it in a year or so. I'm leaning towards +1", I'd prefer a little more rake than what I currently have.

pic of stock ride height.

do the 1" or 2" over. easier to lower the back than raise it. re-arching works for a little while but eventually the springs settle back out; been there done that.

100_0251.jpg

IMO I'd go with 1" over stock if you like a little rake. If its too high you can put blocks to lower it but 1" over I think will give you a nice stance. If no-one posts a picture of stock height then google your car and I'm sure you'll get multiple pictures of restored ones which would be height correct.

If you find someone whom has the correct height have them measure the middle of the wheel openings to the ground and compare that to yours.
Are there no blocks to raise the rear?

You can gift the old ones to someone making knives. Great material for those. If you have access to them, getting the car scaled would assist you on the replacements. Giving the spring company that extra bit of info would be great. Helps on the torsion bars too when the time comes for choosing replacements. Maybe you have a friend/connection who has a set for roundy round/drag/road coarse suspension set up. Will give you total, front/back, corner and bias on front to back. Not 100% needed but if you have access, wtf why not.

Don't fall for longer shackles either. Saw many of those on Ford products being used because the springs were dead.

Blocks are going to lower the car. Remember the diff is on top of the springs. If the diff was under, blocks will raise.
IMG_3165.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back