• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another LED tail light question

jeryst

Local time
12:11 AM
Reaction score
69 Road Runner. I was in Autozone today and noticed they have LED 1157 bulbs by Sylvania. One pacage is regular, the other package says "Super Bright". Both say "For offroad use only". They both also say "Load balancer may be required". They also have 1157A, whatever that is.

Any body use these? Are they just plug in and go? What is a load balancer and is it needed?

Sorry, tried to search but just couldnt come up with anything relevant.

Load balancing could be required due to circuit resistance differences between side and will affect brightness between them. As far as the 1157A goes, the yellow incandescent version was an 1157NA, so I assume that this could be the LED yellow equivalent. The yellow bulbs were used when the lens for the housing was clear.

They make a flasher that is rated for LED bulbs. The LED bulbs do not draw enough current to activate a regular flasher. I plan on running them.

I used the Putco Plasma led bulbs for the taillights and back up lights, direct replacement and much brighter with less heat.
qMP4kbk_d.webp

Putco on left, stock on right.

IpRfzJp_d.webp

Not cheap but a definite improvement.

Made my own for my '69 Super Bee. Turned out much better than the aftermarket bulb type.
P2120001.JPG

Tail lights - top is the stock incandescent bulbs, and bottom is the custom LED's. LED's are much brighter and fill the entire lense versus the stock bulbs.
Tail Lights, Top-Stock vs Bottom-LED.JPG

Backup lights - Top right is the stock incandescent bulbs, bottom left is the LED's. LED's are again brighter and a little whiter than the stock bulb. (Higher Kelvin temp of the emitted light).
Backup Lights, Top-Stock vs Bottom-LED.JPG

Not sure what I'm missing on the desire for LED's. My stock OE housings, NOS lenses and regular Sylvania 1156 and 1157 bulbs.
beerestoration2019 006.JPG
beerestoration2019 010.JPG
beerestoration2019 011.JPG
beerestoration2019 013.JPG
beerestoration2019 014.JPG

There's really nothing wrong at all with the stock setup, I wanted something brighter and have looked at the Putcos for a while.

rOEmzaU_d.webp

While still a "bulb" they overall look visibly brighter and more red with stock housings and lenses. I can see better with the backup lights as well. It's a relatively easy upgrade for those looking for more.

They make a flasher that is rated for LED bulbs. The LED bulbs do not draw enough current to activate a regular flasher. I plan on running them.
I also tried the amber ones for the parking / turn signal light, bight and looked great but only very faintly blinked. Stuck with the regular bulbs which are brighter with a headlight relay harness. I may try a work around at some point...

Last edited:
The off road use only is because they do not wish to spend the money for DOT or SAE compliance to sell as on road use
Or they are not good enough to pass

I have installed Phillips 1157R LED bulbs in my 66-67 Charger tail lights. I like to put the LEDs in the two inside positions on each side and leave the standard bulb in the outside position, doing this gives a bit of a sequential effect on the turn signals as the LEDs go full bright much quicker.
Only thing I had to do was replace the flasher but its all plug and play, no modifying of original harness in any way.

Last edited:
I drove past a LED storefront, and it was a "commercial" LED light store.
Told them what I had, there is a personal connection as the owner is the son of a guy in the MOPAR car club I belong to. He sold me some replacement LED tail lamps to try, and they work fine, without changing the flasher or anything.

I drove past a LED storefront, and it was a "commercial" LED light store.
Told them what I had, there is a personal connection as the owner is the son of a guy in the MOPAR car club I belong to. He sold me some replacement LED tail lamps to try, and they work fine, without changing the flasher or anything.
Any idea what brand or part number?

Not sure what I'm missing on the desire for LED's.
For me, it was wanting the sequential tail lights, the much lower power draw, nearly no heat output, and the fact that the LEDs will probably outlast me...

....He sold me some replacement LED tail lamps to try, and they work fine, without changing the flasher or anything.......

Usually if you just replace tail lights with LED's the stock flasher will still work OK, but it might flash a bit slower than before. BUT, if you replace rears AND fronts with LED's then you will need to use the electronic flasher with the ground wire to run the LED's.

The reason is there is still enough of a resistive load in the circuit with half LED's and half incandescent filiment bulbs to operate the stock flasher unit. But with LED's all the way around, there is no resistive load left in the circuit so the newer style flasher is needed in that case.

For me, it was wanting the sequential tail lights, the much lower power draw, nearly no heat output, and the fact that the LEDs will probably outlast me...
Fair enough, but I replaced my working bulbs during the restoration assembly that were at least 32 years old, probably older. I won't be around when the new set burns out, will be #1 Son's problem! lol

Usually if you just replace tail lights with LED's the stock flasher will still work OK, but it might flash a bit slower than before. BUT, if you replace rears AND fronts with LED's then you will need to use the electronic flasher with the ground wire to run the LED's.

The reason is there is still enough of a resistive load in the circuit with half LED's and half incandescent filiment bulbs to operate the stock flasher unit. But with LED's all the way around, there is no resistive load left in the circuit so the newer style flasher is needed in that case.
Good bit of info, thx. My taillights are solid and blink as good as ever, front turn signals only barely.

Auto Transport Service
Back