• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another oil leak question for the Mopar think tank guys...

Mark Barnes

Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
I started the 273 in the Belvedere I just bought, and it leaked oil...bad, right around the oil filter. I pulled the oil filter and checked it over, couldn't see any issues. That said, it was on pretty tight, so when I put it back on I put it on hand tight +.
Started it up again, much better, but still intermittent drips. It looks like the oil is coming from around the outside diameter of the oil filter adapter where it seats in the iron block. My question is this- the oil filter adapter must be a separate piece from the block. How does it attach to the block, and is a gasket or sealer needed where it contacts the block? Can it be tightened, and if so, how? Any help would be appreciated so I can move on to adjusting the valves correctly.

Well Mark, 2 questions. Is is a right angle 90* adapter ? or is the oil filter screwed to the block by way of the adapter plate? Either way there is a gasket "Ring" that goes between the block and oil filter adapter. If just a plate with the oil filter removed you will see that hex head with the threaded male end for the filter.A socket will be used to remove it. 90*adapter has a long bolt.

I started the 273 in the Belvedere I just bought, and it leaked oil...bad, right around the oil filter. I pulled the oil filter and checked it over, couldn't see any issues. That said, it was on pretty tight, so when I put it back on I put it on hand tight +.
Started it up again, much better, but still intermittent drips. It looks like the oil is coming from around the outside diameter of the oil filter adapter where it seats in the iron block. My question is this- the oil filter adapter must be a separate piece from the block. How does it attach to the block, and is a gasket or sealer needed where it contacts the block? Can it be tightened, and if so, how? Any help would be appreciated so I can move on to adjusting the valves correctly.

i am pretty sure it is an o-ring seal check the fel-pro site to be sure and take a hone stone and lightly and sand where the oil filter seat if it is nicked or mares.

Photo of the 90*
IMG_2357.jpg

I'll bet yours is straight because it a B body. A bodies had the 90*. But you never say never when it comes to Ma Mopar.

I'll bet yours is straight because it a B body. A bodies had the 90*. But you never say never when it comes to Ma Mopar.
Yep, it's straight. It looks like the oil is coming out from around the outside diameter of the adapter where it contacts the block. I looked atnit and I don't see any hex nut, other than probably a 3/4" or larger hex that is inset in the adapter with only the threaded nipple sticking out. KNEW I should have taken a picture of it...

Last edited:
Yep, it's straight. It looks like the oil is coming out from around the outside diameter of the adapter where it contacts the block. I looked atnit and I don't see any hex nut, other than probably a 3/4" or larger hex that is inset in the adapter with only the threaded nipple sticking out. KNEW I should have taken a picture of it...
Mark, see post #15 from your rear main seal thread.

When you go to reinstall make sure you will get pressure on the gasket
If bent order a new one

There is a gasket under the adapter plate. The plate is held on by a two sided threaded pipe with hex lands on the filter side. The adapter plate is lightly bell shaped, higher on the outside. Probably need a new gasket. If the fitting is overtightened, the raised center can pull in over time and cause a bad seal to the gasket. Crappy pic of mine below...
20160319_211531.jpg

Stolen image from the interwebs...
oil filter adaptor.jpg

There is a gasket under the adapter plate. The plate is held on by a two sided threaded pipe with hex lands on the filter side. The adapter plate is lightly bell shaped, higher on the outside. Probably need a new gasket. If the fitting is overtightened, the raised center can pull in over time and cause a bad seal to the gasket. Crappy pic of mine below...
View attachment 930679

Stolen image from the interwebs...
View attachment 930680
So that's what those look like. I have the right angle on both my A Bodies and swear it would be easier to service if the filter's just screwed directly to the block like your B body.

So that's what those look like. I have the right angle on both my A Bodies and swear it would be easier to service if the filter's just screwed directly to the block like your B body.
Mine is on a 318 Poly in a 62 B Body. Decent amount of room on the sides. A bodies are probably tighter between the shock supports and engine.

Auto Transport Service
Back