• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another TTI thread - 74 B Body 400, motor is from 76-78 car

Coronet67guy

Local time
2:51 AM
Reaction score
So full discloser, I'm only sending this out after waiting all day for a call back from TTI, called twice, talked to a lady who said they would call back, and they never did. Lessons learned - Hedman 78070 shorties don't fit a 400 big block 74 charger. Not even close on drivers side. And never ceramic coat headers without dry fitting first. Now I have headers Summit won't take back. So if anyone needs ceramic coated 78070's I have them, no banging done, $300 shipped anywhere in USA. Now I need headers for my car 74 Charger. I have TTI header adapter pipes since I had planned to connect to shorties. I already have a TTI H pipe. So logic would say put TTI headers on. I also figured shorties were the easiest fit. If you go to TTI's site the shorties seem to have the most fit issues, like cylinder head bolts, no "yes" in column shift, and listing only one starter that will work. I can't imagine headers that would only work with one starter. Are they getting a cut? I already have a Proform 440-415 high torque mini starter in the car.

https://www.ttiexhaust.com/MoparClassics-Headers/44025-Shorty/TTi44025.htm

Next option is the 1 3/4 full length. Again cylinder head bolts mentioned but a yes in column shift and more starters listed. What's odd is the header that sounds like it would fit best is the larger of the 3, the 1 7/8 full length. No cylinder bold issues mentioned, all good on column shift, and several mini starters.

https://www.ttiexhaust.com/MoparClassics-Headers/383-178/TTi383-178.htm

So would you buy the long tubes and send the adapter pipes back? Who's installed them in a similar car? And the big question, is the fact that my 400 is from a later model car am I going to have major issues finding headers that will fit? I'm not sure if there were any major differences in these engines. Only thing I know of so far is PS brackets. Thanks!

Sorry that I cant help with the question but this will be good info for me later.

Going to pick up a 400 this weekend for my 74 charger :D out of a late 70s newport

Sorry that I cant help with the question but this will be good info for me later.

Going to pick up a 400 this weekend for my 74 charger :D out of a late 70s newport

Great. I wish I could find out exactly what mine came out of, I just know it was a 76-78 car. TTI says that shouldn't effect the fit of the headers at all. I just ordered some 1 7/8 long tubes. Really just needed 1 3/4 but didn't want to wait 4-6 weeks to get them. I guess they have zero on the shelves.

Great. I wish I could find out exactly what mine came out of, I just know it was a 76-78 car. TTI says that shouldn't effect the fit of the headers at all. I just ordered some 1 7/8 long tubes. Really just needed 1 3/4 but didn't want to wait 4-6 weeks to get them. I guess they have zero on the shelves.
How did this work out ? Did you get the 1 7/8 headers installed ?

Auto Transport Service
Back