• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anti freeze leak around header

KENTON

Local time
9:07 AM
Reaction score
D1316BC2-650C-4144-93DD-C0BFBAF34861.jpeg

I have anti freeze leaking around 2, 4, 6, & 8. The right side is fine. I have TTI headers and, 915 heads. Does anyone know what needs to be done to repair this? Thanks, Kenton.

Also wondering what to use to clean up that header? Don’t want to screw it up, if I can help it.

Autosol polishing paste for the header- do it when the engine is dead cold.

Thanks, would you use the white stuff from ARP ?

Don't know what that is.... I've a set of '915's that did the same thing, although just about any BB Mopar head could put you in the same boat. Drain down enough coolant to dry the holes, chase threads and then clean thoroughly with brake cleaner and or a small fitting brush.... header bolt threads too. Then use the non-drying Permatex sealer (the old school brown goop) on the male threads of the header bolts. Assemble, and try to wait 2-3-4 days whatever you can manage and refill the coolant. Then, show that Mopar no mercy lol.

I just used Teflon thread tape and a small wipe of RTV around the tape - no weeps at all.

Don't know what that is.... I've a set of '915's that did the same thing, although just about any BB Mopar head could put you in the same boat. Drain down enough coolant to dry the holes, chase threads and then clean thoroughly with brake cleaner and or a small fitting brush.... header bolt threads too. Then use the non-drying Permatex sealer (the old school brown goop) on the male threads of the header bolts. Assemble, and try to wait 2-3-4 days whatever you can manage and refill the coolant. Then, show that Mopar no mercy lol.
Agree - the old school brown goop is the way to go with these things! While other things may work, this, IMHO, is one of the best and time trusted ways to go.

Thanks for your replies. I have some of the permatex stuff I think, has a brush for an applicator.

Auto Transport Service
Back