• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

antifreeze blowing through raidiatior

74roadrunner440

Local time
7:56 AM
Reaction score
this is a new build and irattice idle comes up n down .sprayed carb cleaner along intake and carbs. hard to tell with iratic adle. antifreeze blows through radiatior once it warms up. the upper radiator hose moves after it blows antifreeze not like a air in cooling system more like a volcano. ive never ran into a prob or herd of this before. any help might be helpful thanks again all

this is a new build and irattice idle comes up n down .sprayed carb cleaner along intake and carbs. hard to tell with iratic adle. antifreeze blows through radiatior once it warms up. the upper radiator hose moves after it blows antifreeze not like a air in cooling system more like a volcano. ive never ran into a prob or herd of this before. any help might be helpful thanks again all

Fill it up with water, start it up with the cap off and see if you see air bubbles in the radiator once it warms up. You are checking for a blown head gasket.

i just replaced the head gaskets but im thinking more on the line of a cracked head or somthing on that line

Any white smoke coming out the exhaust? Was the new head gaskets compaired with the old ones? Do a radiator compression test. If gauge dosent hold you'll know you have an internal leak.

Did you check to make sure the heads aren't warped? Make sure the head bolts don't bottom out before you get enough torque. When you had the heads off did you check for cracks? Do a check to make sure you don't have exhaust gas in the coolant.

i dont have antfreeze in the oil, but blows antifreeze sky high. like 4 to 6 inches out of radiator. engine runs like crap hard to stay running , irratic idle, fire coming out of carbs and pops . what would cause antifreeze to blow like this? the engine problems im having sure sounds like a head or somthing like it. i just put on new head gaskets im lost???

- - - Updated - - -

maybe too much compression? but sure acts like compression getting in to the coolant flow and air causing missing n running like crap

- - - Updated - - -

only thing i havent done is a leak down test or put air into cylinders or pressurised the radiator.ive done all the comone things maybe the maching show shaved the heads to much?

- - - Updated - - -

i checkd heads w a strait edge for warpage but machine chape shaved them when i got them back and i looks with a magnafing glass couldnt see anything but that was all b4 it got hot but never ran right since i assembled it this time

Pull the plugs and see if there is any evidence of water being drawn into a cylinder. Leave the plugs out if you pressurize the cooling system, just as a precaution against spinning the engine over with water in the cylinder. That could bend a rod.

i dont have antfreeze in the oil, but blows antifreeze sky high. like 4 to 6 inches out of radiator. engine runs like crap hard to stay running , irratic idle, fire coming out of carbs and pops . what would cause antifreeze to blow like this? the engine problems im having sure sounds like a head or somthing like it. i just put on new head gaskets im lost??

Fire coming out of carbs, rough idol, timing must be way off. That will make the engine run extremely hot also...

- - - Updated - - -

could a water jacket(s) be plugged?

That's what I was thinking too Mar. If wrong head gaskets were used or they were installed backwards it could block a port...

Yep I was thinking timing too, sounds way off to me maybe even just one plug wire off or two but seems rough idle backfire through carb all signs of wrong ignition setup.

Auto Transport Service
Back