• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any 1320 racers using a Borgeson power steering box?

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:43 PM
Reaction score
I am leaning toward the Borgeson, converting from manual to power steering once I get the Wraptor serpentine all inclusive system that I bought at Cruisin the Coast.
Also, is anyone using a Wraptor or another single belt serpentine system AND a vacuum pump?
Screenshot_20191011-174704_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191011-174650_Chrome.jpg

Negotiated a good deal on the Wraptor, along with a bunch of other stuff we bought for my Roadrunner and my wife's GTO.
My concern is is there any "twitchy-ness" with the quicker ratio of the Borgeson?
Whatever box I get I would like to be as small and light as possible, and compatible with the "GM type 2" power steering pump on the Wraptor.
Any feedback is appreciated!

I posted the photo so you can see it’s relative size in the engine compartment I removed it because it’s a drag car that I will eventually sale

Anybody have any issues drag racing, especially on the fast end of the quarter mile, with over correcting or the steering feeling "twitchy" because of the quicker ratio?
I'm really excited about having power steering! Driving my manual steering 70 Roadrunner was never a problem, but I am certain that one day in the future the Grim Reaper was going to punch my number while I was parallel parking that behemoth...

Most people who drag race their cars get away from power accessories. They eat power, add weight, over speed and eventually break on higher rpm applications. Probably a better question for the pro touring / street car group.

You could always do a in- line adjustable flow valve to get the feel you want for the steering. I forget who makes them but a should be able to find on line pretty quick.

Looked it up . Speedway motors sell a Heidts ps-101 valve for $111.00. I'm sure there are others also.

Looked it up . Speedway motors sell a Heidts ps-101 valve for $111.00. I'm sure there are others also.
Looks like a good way to adjust degree of assist. Thanks.
I am going to get the Borgeson.
My main concern was the quicker than stock ratio, but I will adapt to it. I may wind up with bias ply drag radials, so that means skinny front (maybe drag) tires or bias ply front tires at the track.
My belief is that at least with the engine I have now, I will gain significant improvement on off the line traction with the hydraulic clutch and HitMaster launch control system, so I can keep using my drag radials. I still have to install the line lock, and I am going to get a triangulated 4 link rear suspension system too, so I have a long way to go.

Had a fast ratio (factory) steering in my 71 340 Cuda and it was fine at speed. It only ran a 14.0 in the 1/4 but it would do 130 easily enough on the highway.....but can't say anything about what you are looking at. Is your car going to be mostly drag with some street use or mostly street use?

Is your car going to be mostly drag with some street use or mostly street use?
90+% street right now. Ultimately I would like to go to the "local" dragstrip maybe twice a month for test and tune night and bracket racing just for fun. I have some friends who go, so there could be some occasional grudge races too.
If I wind up going once a month, that would be a lot more than I go now, but I have a lot to do to my car for track performance and that is part of the reason why I haven't been bringing it to the track.
I think that once my wife's GTO is dialed in, it should be comparable to the Roadrunner, so that could be a regular competitor in the other lane too. Once I get my stroker motor, I may have to sandbag some when I run against her just to keep her interested. She probably wouldn't notice.

90+% street right now. Ultimately I would like to go to the "local" dragstrip maybe twice a month for test and tune night and bracket racing just for fun. I have some friends who go, so there could be some occasional grudge races too.
If I wind up going once a month, that would be a lot more than I go now, but I have a lot to do to my car for track performance and that is part of the reason why I haven't been bringing it to the track.
I think that once my wife's GTO is dialed in, it should be comparable to the Roadrunner, so that could be a regular competitor in the other lane too. Once I get my stroker motor, I may have to sandbag some when I run against her just to keep her interested. She probably wouldn't notice.
I beat my X one night with a slower vehicle. It was 2 tenths slower but I let her prestage first and then I did. When she was fully staged, I rolled in far enough to turn off the top bulb. Yup, I deep staged and just doing that threw her off her game enough to lose. Oh yeah, she was pissed because she thought I cheated but she always though I cheated so I got to where I did whatever I could from being the banker at Monopoly to drag racing to get the upper hand :D

For now, I'm a better driver in that we both have 3 pedal cars. We just got a TKO600 for the GTO, and that should help with shifting the GTO faster. Also doing coilovers in the rear of the Goat, and it has a 3.80 ring and pinion gearset in a Quick Performance Ford 9" rear with UMI suspension.
The goal for the GTO is to beat my dad's winning time from back in the day in his 65 389 Tripower GTO. 12.8
Hers has a built 421 Tripower, and once I get the Rochesters worked over by the man who modifies them for performance and stroker Pontiac engines, I think that will get it there. My dad's car was not far from stock, so on paper, our GTO should be faster.

Auto Transport Service
Back