• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any body done 73 upper control arm bushings?

YY1

Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
I was looking at my UCA bushings ...thought I was gonna get away with just LBJs, but the UCBs will need done soon.

Looks like a royal PITA to try to press that shaft in both directions.

IIRC some sources say FSM says replace as an assembly.

Would that include the entire UCA?

I will be replacing mine next week end along with new engine and trans. Never done them before. 73 Satellite.

I did mine on my 73 RR. Had a local 4x4 shop just down the block press out the old ones and then press in the new bushings. I used the Moog K7058 bushings. Its kind of tricky to do it since the arm that goes through both sides, but if you find someone that knows how to use a press, shouldn't be an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

I should also note, I had my entire front end off the car when it was done.
IMAG0935small.jpg

I used a torch to burn out the old bushings to get the shaft out first, then press out the shells.

Then press in one new bushing, put the shaft in and press the other bushing in with the shaft. This is trickier but I did it with a hollow piece of pipe cut length wise to look like a "C" to fit between and over the bushings for support to press the second bushing

MOOG replacement bushings are K7058 as mentioned above (I have 2 spare brand new ones you can have for shipping)

Hope that makes sense...

With a second set I actually burnt out the old bushings, didn't remove the shells and replaced with PST's poly bushings which require you to just clean and reuse the shells in place without removing them.

The torch method works also, its what I started with because I wanted to use poly bushings, but the ones I got from Prothane didn't fit right so I went with the Moog option.

Easy. I just did it a month ago. Used a torch to burn the old bushings out, then the shaft falls right out. Pounded steel out with a hammer and punch. Pressed one new one in. Then put the shaft in the new one, and press the other new one over the other end of the shaft

I feel better about it now.

Thanks.

How much of a pain was it to remove the K frame?

Looks like the UCA mounts overlap the frame rails on both sides.

The brackets that holds the upper control arms bolts to the K-frame. Can remove them without removing the frame. Then replace the bushings and bolt back in.

Attachments

• 20140609_145454.jpg
    20140609_145454.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 167
I just do it the old fashion way with a hammer and chisel ,then use the nuts to pull them in tap them in then use the nuts to send them home every now and then give the upper control arm a tap with the hammer so it will pop (you can brake the control arm if you don't relieve the pressure every now and then) it's not bad if you don't have all the fancy tools , (I'm an on road mechanic so I got to make due with what I have so I'm used to doing things with out help and the fancy shop tools ) good luck

ok, now wondering if these earlier production got diff K members too to SB and BB ????????

Auto Transport Service
Back