• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any diesel builders out there

daredevil

Local time
9:10 PM
Reaction score
I have an 01 cummins and thinking of beefing it up a little. Anyone got a hot diesel and a b body? How about some pics and description of what ya did. thanks

Florida, 2009 978.jpg

Here are both of mine. Same as you - mine is a 2001. It'll be 14 years old this month. I'm still running stock power because the trans. is still stock and doing well at 145,000 miles. When the trans goes, I plan to beef it up and then turn the power up on the Cummins. Hopefully that's a long way off yet - not much extra cash right now.

You probably already know about the TDR, but check it out if you don't. You can find all kinds of ideas there on cranking up your power.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

The TDR is a good site and has a decent quarterly rag for the cost of membership but this site is free...
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/
I'm a member there too and was for many years at the TDR. Here's my 97 junk. It's still stock but has a straight pipe. I feel it runs good enough so I left it alone as far as boosting it up. It'll engulf itself in tire smoke but with the new meats, I don't do it anymore because they weren't cheap lol. From idle, it'll turn the tires just a little and goes but if I power brake it just a little bit, it'll roast them. It needs a limited slip real bad and I finally found one. Just need to get on the ball.
burnout2.jpg

With new tires and H2 wheels...

truck.jpg

truck5.jpg

Mines a dually with a manual. I have already replaced a clutch from too much playing in the mud and dragging trees and things at my property.Keep losing injector prime and i,m fixing to tear into it. Hoping its just o rings but if you gotta work on it why not improve it.I,m on the cummins forum as daredevil but not tdr

Attachments

• trucks003.jpg
    trucks003.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 306
Oh yeah, straight piped is the way to fly. My original exhaust is still in my garage rafters - not many miles on it.

I recognize your handle from the TDR, Cranky. I'm Fireman Dave over there - one of the original chat freaks.

I have 04 3500 dodge cummins 140,000 mi...Edge w/attitude controller since just about day one... just took the truck to yellowstone and back this last spring no trouble....when the trans finally goes the truck will get a make over for sure...kinda cant wait..

edit.. straight pipe as well

How easy was the edge hookup and how did you like it?

Here's my old 01'.. 6spd 24v.. Straight piped, ddp injectors, diamond eye 4inch downpipe, with 5'' dual exhaust and 6'' tips, 3 piece exh. manifold, banks big head, banks technikooler, intake elbow, hamilton valve springs and cam, edge juice with attitude CTS, southbend clutch... Had it for a few years.. got bored with it.. ended up trading it for a 92 rotary pumped truck and $$$$.. Got bored with it, and now I have a 99 auto 24v with pretty much the same done to it, except the head is o-ringed, sporting a modified hx35, huge injectors, and I added a smarty... also has a hot rod vp44..
megstruck1.jpgmegstruck.jpg

This is my '98 (with the good motor) 12V! ha ha ha
Put a 230hp/610tq cam plate in it at 26,000 miles. Its got 207,000 miles on it now with original trans.

DSC08931.jpg

picture.php

I had a couple of my Daily Drivers/Construction trucks & also my tow rigs, Dodge Power Rams 4x4's Cummins 5.9ltr. 12-valve both a 95 & 98, with larger Banks turbo & inner-cooler, old ATI intake & exhaust manifolds, a jacked up the stock fuel pump timing & larger injectors, K&N filters & Air-box with 4" insulated intake tube, a Hypertech tuner/programmer, 4" exhaust & Y-pipe, got over 300k miles on the 95, sold it & got the 98, did pretty much all the same things & got about 350k miles before I sold it too, both were Rancho 3" lifted twin shock & old style 35" Q-78 Dick Cepek mud & now tires & Aluminum M/T wheels on one & Budnik wheels on the other, better brakes & pads, from Baer Brakes {only people back then really}, both were short bed extended cab 2500's w/Dana-60 & Dana-70 corporate axles, with lockers & 3.73:1 gears, angle shimmed to get better driveshaft angles, great wheeling rigs & towed with both of them many, many miles, climb the grades like nothing loaded to the hilt, with 1st a 40ft gooseneck & later a 45ft 5th wheel 2) racecar trailer, before going to a 2000 Kodiak mid size with a 610hp Detroit Diesel real tow cross country rig, I used for about 8 or so years.... I have a hopped up 2002 F-350 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke now, I don't really care much for, but gets the job done... I have know idea How Much Power they actually made, but probably near double the OEM stuff did....

My old partner Rob was a diesel tech., with his help & great advise... I told him I wanted them to last but have much better power & usability especially for wheeling & towing... That's what we came up with, it seemed to work pretty darn well...

we went by the old Performance 101 adage, what goes in, must come out... concentrated mostly on intake & exhaust systems

How easy was the edge hookup and how did you like it?

Very easy....I like it but I think there is better now a days....the only reason I went edge is I know the guy that sold them and it did not leave a foot print (electronic) when taken to the dealer....and if it did my dealer never caught on...

I got some learning to do.What is a p pump?Whats the cheapest dependable upgrade for a 2nd gen 24v

Daredevil,
Check out 4btswaps.com there was a b body with a cummins 4bt in it in their build section. I think it was a 72 or 3 Road Runner IIRC. Been a while since I've been on their site.
Mark

My cummins is staying in my 3500. Will check it out though. For the cool factor.

My cummins is staying in my 3500. Will check it out though. For the cool factor.
Your engine is the 6BT anyways....the 4BT is the 4 banger. The P7100 is the older style pump like on the pre-98 1/2 trucks. Yours has VP44 which is said by many to be not as good as the P7100.

I have been reading about the vp44 being junk so thats why I was asking about the p pump. Thanks for the info on it. Gonna search conversion threads to see if a swaps feasible.

I have been reading about the vp44 being junk so thats why I was asking about the p pump. Thanks for the info on it. Gonna search conversion threads to see if a swaps feasible.
Meant to insert a link to just that....it's a lot of work but if you're having trouble with the 44's, it may be worth it especially if you decide to up the power. The pump will probably not like it.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-24v-p-pump-conversion/157104-p-pumped-24v-tech-w-pics.html

Auto Transport Service
Back