• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any easy way to remove clutch over spring?

4mulas

Local time
12:59 AM
Reaction score
Hi there, going to run a diaphragm clutch and want to remove the clutch over spring.
69 B body
Any tips to make this easy before I shred my hands and knuckles....?

Get a bunch of washers, push the clutch pedal and install the washers.

Get a bunch of washers, push the clutch pedal and install the washers.

You mean to slide washers when it is not pushed? Then push the clutch in to have a spring with slack in it now..
the spring is in the stretch position when the clutch is disengaged. When engaged to spring is collapsed and I could see being able to slide washers into it.

You can push the clutch pedal down and pop it off the pedal pin with a small prybar, just did it on my '72 last night.

I forget exactly how that spring is sitting, so do what it takes. Also, as mentioned, you could use a pry bar.....but be prepared for it.

I forget exactly how that spring is sitting, so do what it takes. Also, as mentioned, you could use a pry bar.....but be prepared for it.

Yes, be prepared, forgot to mention that I stuffed a shop rag up around the spring.

You can push the clutch pedal down and pop it off the pedal pin with a small prybar, just did it on my '72 last night.

Is it easy to rotate it off the back pin afterward. Ie: don’t want to unbolt the whole bracket. Thanks!

Unload the spring and the pin will come out. It's just retained with an undercut.
beerestoration2015-2016 1545.JPG

When on the car the pedal hits the floor before unloading the spring. Loosen the bolts holding the pedal assembly allowing the pedal to travel about another 1/2" or so and the this will unload the spring. Then remove the pin. Easy peasy. No blood, no pain.

Auto Transport Service
Back