• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Engine painting tips

dodge68charger

Local time
12:51 PM
Reaction score
I recently got my 440 engine rebuilt and the builder painted it with rattle can paint and did a terrible job. I scuffed the engine down with a red scotchbrite pad and 400 grit sandpaper. I had to take the intake manifold off and water pump also because he painted over the old paint. Im gonna get the housings glass beaded.

Just wondering if anyones got any tips on how about doing a good job. I got eastwood hemi orange paint with an activator to use in my spray gun. Gonna paint it in my garage. Should i paint the valley pan then install it, should i install anything else on the engine,how many coats, what should i clean the block with, etc. Thanks

Any good hard solvent to clean it. PPG Wax and Grease remover works well, but there is a lot of other solvent based cleaners that will work well. Use scrub brushes and tooth brush to get in all the little nook's and crannies. As far as coat's, I'd go with at least three. I'd also make sure to have it as much assembled as possible. As soon as you throw a wrench or sockets on the nut's or bolt head's, the paint will mar or flake off. Intake will probably have to be sprayed separately to get paint on the valley pan.

I like to apply a good self etching primer

Good info Propwash...
Yeah, the paint "chips" easily these days

Auto Transport Service
Back