• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any options to replace the ugly tank straps ???

acii

Local time
9:51 AM
Reaction score
Hy all..

i have to buy a new tank ...as well as new straps.

Before buying any parts.. i would like to know if there are any other options to install the tank.. maybe without any straps ???

Thanks for ur advice !!!

CU
Achim

I don't know what you are working on, but the straps don't usually rot like the tank. Why clean them, bead blast or sand them. Then clear coat them with a spray can of paint.

sure, put the whole tank in the trunk or buy a fuel cell.

New tank get new straps, they aren't all that expensive. Get the stainless ones and a some new J bolts, never a oxidation issue again..

Run some long lag bolts through the tank and up into the floor. Use a sealant to avoid leaks.

You want to paint the tank body color. So you’re building a custom type car?

Get the straps chrome plated, chrome always looks good!

restoring a 70 charger ...fully rust bucket , even the straps rotted away :)

restoring a 70 charger ...fully rust bucket , even the straps rotted away :)
Thanks for the full story. That is a good buy on the tank if you want to go that way. If you intend to paint the tank, the straps can be painted also, or chromed as @R413 said.

Why overthink this stuff.. I think this looks purdy.. LOL
beerestoration2018 760.JPG

I’ve been awake nights over this same issue. By the way, don’t buy from Ricks Tanks El Paso if going custom OR Mopar Ed in the Central Valley (Ca).

I haf chrome straps once ... as well as a whole lot of other stuff. Now I either paint it or powdercoat it. Chrome maintenance is a pain in the ***.

Hy all..

i have to buy a new tank ...as well as new straps.

Before buying any parts.. i would like to know if there are any other options to install the tank.. maybe without any straps ???

Thanks for ur advice !!!

CU
Achim
I bought a stainless steel tank and stainless steel straps for my 69 charger and a stainless steel tank for my 78 dodge magnum. But no straps in stainless for the magnum . So I will use my old straps and cover them in black heat shrink tubing. I'm liking the anti corrosion properties of stainless. Plus you could paint it.

I replaced the tank (going EFI in-tank pump) in my 68 Coronet Wagon and the old straps had undercoating on them. I bought some 1" steel from a supply house and made my own. It took me less time to make them then if I had tried cleaning the old ones.
20200806_091432.jpg

I replaced the tank and strap on my 63 Fury. I got an extra, stainless strap, which i just returned. It looked pretty!

Auto Transport Service
Back