• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any photos of `66 hood ornaments?

Dako

Local time
9:20 AM
Reaction score
I am specifically looking for photos (examples) of the original engine 'call-out' (foil decal) displaying the cubic inch numbers, 273, 318, 361, 383, and 426 on the backside of the ornament. I am trying to get a '318' insert, be it foil, or vinyl, made for my `66 Belvedere II with the Poly 318. Year One lists one for a `65 but not for `66. There is some guy on ebay who sells a Black with Red numbers 318, but not an Ivory with gold (tan) numbers. Keeps telling me that mine must be faded. yea...I know what I have. Was a Red on Black actually available? Maybe it's for a different model? I thought the Belvedere line (Belv I, Belv II, Satty, and GTX) and the Furys all used the same ornaments, just varied by appropriate engine displacement numbers...and they were all the same color (Ivory, Gold numbers, with a chrome pinstripe around the outer portion. Am I wrong? Looking for a bit of confirmation. Thanks in advance.

Dunno if this is any help as really not super clear to color in pic..

!966 Satty...

Attachments

• 4261.jpg
    4261.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 502
  • 42611.jpg
    42611.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 504
What color combinations are used in the decal...numbers, pin stripe, 'field' (background)? Is that Red the reflection from the car? Is that an origanl decal, or were you able to get a replacement somewhere?

Anybody else?

Attached (if I did it right) is a photo of my original foil decal from the hood ornament. Anybody have a better 'photo example' of this 318 version? Thanks in advance.

2nd attempt

Trying the photo again.

Attachments

• 318 Hood Orn decal.JPG
    318 Hood Orn decal.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 438
66 Ply hood gunsite

Here is a photo of a spare hood engine call-out I have. 318 were a bronzy/tan. 440 are red

Attachments

• 66 ply hood (1).JPG
    66 ply hood (1).JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 389
So then mine is faded? Instead of "Ivory' it should be more of a tan? I take it the rest is the same as mine...the Gold numbering and Chrome pinstripe around the edge? Reason I ask all of this is I had aquired another hood ornament (that was not snapped off) and it looked just like mine (not to say it wasn't faded as well).

chignikred,

Is that outer most band of the decal Black?

hood

I actually do believe the background is a black finish, but not a painted black. It is a flat, like anodize effect, too show off the metalic bronze number finish, and outline border.

I have a 318 call out on my hood ornament. I can take a picture of it this weekend (my car is in storage and I'll be going to work on it this weekend) and post it then, or send it to you.

Here are some photos of my hood ornament. The color around the "318" appears to be brown. DSCN3387.jpg Here's the front. DSCN3388.jpg

DSCN3387.jpg DSCN3388.jpg

satellite66 ,

Appreciate the posting. I'm guessing the foil decals experienced fading over the years. The guy who sells reproduction foil decals, for all the engine sizes available, is adamant that the 'tan' area was originally Black, the '318' was originally Red, and the 'pinstripe' was originally Silver. http://www.ebay.com/itm/66-Satellite-Mopar-Hood-Ornament-318-INSERT-Belvedere-/140172064276

Since I haven't found any photos of one new, or have come accross any literature displaying one when new, I went ahead and purchased the decal and installed it on mine.

Hmm, would like to see one when it was new. I would think that if it faded from black to brown, it wouldn't have faded evenly. I could be wrong, though I think mine looks to be in pretty good shape as it is. @ 66hemi: I don't have any for sale. I only have the one attached to my car.

So then mine is faded? Instead of "Ivory' it should be more of a tan? I take it the rest is the same as mine...the Gold numbering and Chrome pinstripe around the edge? Reason I ask all of this is I had aquired another hood ornament (that was not snapped off) and it looked just like mine (not to say it wasn't faded as well).
bought a nos 318 ornament 25yrs ago red numbers and silver frame (line around numbers). The sun does fade them. Have a 426 ornament that's almost silver and another that's pink.

Last edited:
NOS 1966 318 ornament. Repo's on ebay are ok but lines and numbers aren't as crisp.

Fran B

318 ornamint pvc edlbrock carb 002.JPG

Last edited:
I have 4 ornaments to choose from for my 66. I'll have the best replated, and am waiting on a 426 decal/foil from one seller.

Would be interested to see ornament before and after plating. I have several also, was going to remove the 318 from NOS ornament. Couldn't bring myself to do it! Would like to know who's the platter and cost? I emailed Harm's Auto in Wa. they have a few repo's left for 426.

Auto Transport Service
Back