• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any speedometer gurus?

dostroupe

Local time
1:09 PM
Reaction score
The speedometer works fine, except at speeds below 20mph, it clicks. The vehicle has sat for almost 20yrs, recently up and running fine. When I took out the gauge cluster, the plastic piece on the cable was like welded to the back of the speedometer. I finally get it off, put in on the bench and get my dad's "tool", the end of a cable and find the mechanism is tight. Dad was a speedometer guru, I am not, he is gone. So what I found was the disk that operates the needle is fine, the 2 prongs that spins around the disk is very tight. I have several other speedometers and all spin fairly easily, this one does not. You can barely spin it with your fingers, not the disk, but the 2 prongs that spin around it. Any ideas? It's a late '70's Dodge truck if it matters.

there’s an oil hole for that shaft put a couple drops of light oil in there and spin it up slowly with a drill.

I will look for the oil hole, but don't remember seeing anything. I have put some oil on the back where the cable goes into the housing and on the housing under the disk and let it soak for days.

Auto Transport Service
Back