• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any way to firm up column shifter?

SureGrip

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:09 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1974 RR auto that came with a column shift and bucket seats (odd, I know).

I want to keep the column shift, but it's always been a bit 'sloppy', so I was wondering if there is any way to 'firm' up the shifter aside from the linkage or in the trans selector itself? Like, is there anything in the column that I can do to firm up the shift?

The linkage rods and bushings do get worn.

The linkage rods and bushings do get worn.
Yeah, that's a given (if available). I'm going to to do a column rebuild, just didn't know if there were any 'tricks' to make the shift selection a little more precise.

Replace all the shift linkage plastic bushings(from firewall to the trans) and use washers to firm up space / tolerance on areas where cotter pins go.I did this with my runner, and every detent is solid and positive with no slop.This is where I found the "slop" orignates from. If you rebuild your column,you can replace any worn parts like the spring in the lever for one.We have a guy named Mike here in MI that restores columns and does fabulous work.Highly recommend him.I can get you his contact info if you need it.
HotRod20

Last edited:
If shift collar is loose it will cause slop in shifter. If so r&r steering wheel then turn signal that lets you at hold down bolts.

Auto Transport Service
Back