• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any windshield guys in central jersey

gtxno1

Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone at wits end with my car been restoring for 4 years about 20 years ago I started doing some of the work had both windshields removed and new gaskets installed with some bodywork done around the rear windshield that I payed for the work sucked had the rear glass removed again this time the knucklehead broke it new gasket and body work repaired fast forward 20 years I have done all of the body work myself car painted etc new vinyl top looks nice now I am ready to install interior I have a real good water leak from the rear windshield and everything is on the car including chrome I am reluctant to have the rear glass removed for the 3rd time and risk damaging paint chrome etc tempted to see if I can find a great glass guy in Jersey that actually knows how to deal with old mopars I am sure at this point there is no 3m glazing compound in the channel should I risk it and have it removed or just deal with the water during bath time car will never be out in the rain thanks

that sucks as your car is a really nice piece.

some of that old school glass with gaskets needs to be installed
by pulling the seal into place around the glass with a rope or string.
i had to do that with a 57 chevy rear window but its been real good while since i did it.
i would try to live with it until i couldn't deal with it anymore.

Im not familiar with the rear window but the front there are numerous opinions on what to use. The front was not all that easy and we had three sets of hands although my set didn't do much. The installer was a older very experienced auto body man who installed countless windshields front and rear. We used a sealer that was brushed on all the way around the frame. I believe it stayed tacky. We installed the windshield with a new gasket using a creamy type hand cleaner for a lubricant. We had installed the gasket in the frame for a few days before we did the install then the day we did the install we removed it to coat the frame with what i told you. The end result was today i washed the car and it was about two months since i put the windshield in. I had the hose straight on the window full stream and we have a good 80 psi water pressure. I did not see and leaks from the windshield and considering my luck with this car I'm happy

He's referring to the rear (back) glass. Not the windshield. To the OP, the back glass is not a windshield, unless you drive backwards :poke: I can tell you from personal experience, the 70-back windshields with the rubber channels are a pain in the ***, don't ask how I know. The back glass is not difficult.

I think I found someone to do it I just do not have extra hands to help and now that the car is painted I can not risk any other tragedies I done enough on my own lol just ordered a new seal and clips hope this is the last

Glass suction cups and a beer buddy to help ( BEFORE the beer ) works great . We all know about tragedies working on cars !

He's referring to the rear (back) glass. Not the windshield. To the OP, the back glass is not a windshield, unless you drive backwards :poke: I can tell you from personal experience, the 70-back windshields with the rubber channels are a pain in the ***, don't ask how I know. The back glass is not difficult.
I know but i thought basic installation was similar. I was only trying to help

Auto Transport Service
Back