• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any yellow or red and black B-Bodies that painted the bumpers?

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:51 PM
Reaction score
I love my chrome front and rear bumpers, but the rear bumper needs to be rechromed or replaced.
I'm wondering what the car would look like if I did the front and rear bumpers in satin black? I don't think Lemon Twist would work, but black...hmmm...
Anyone with a yellow or red primary color B-Body with black stripes/vinyl top that painted the bumpers black?
PICS PLEASE!

I may try a wrap type material or that stuff that peels off to really see what it looks like.

If you’re talking about Plasti-dip ? Don’t waste your time. It looks good, until the second it accumulates dirt, dust or grime. Those contaminants will stick to it. It will look like **** in a week and it’s impossible to keep clean and presentable. I used it restoring vintage motorcycle rims. Looked great for a few days until dirt hits it. The dirt is impossible to clean because the paint is porous. Plus, you will have debris kicking up, oil and carbon from your exhaust. Not worth the effort.
Using it on interior parts would be fine. For a bumper, that’s exposed to a lot of contamination. Save up and buy an aftermarket or have yours painted with a real automotive paint. Nothing else will look good enough or last longer than a couple weeks. If you have a descent car.
A car with less than a perfect paint job. Nice rims, nice bumpers can make a ratty looking car look very presentable.
In my opinion, a chrome bumper is a must on a vintage car. Nothing says it better than chrome. That’s one of several large separations between modern and vintage vehicles.

Last edited:
Just paint the bumper with rattle can paint the same color as the car. It won't adhere well to the chrome but will give you a good idea of what it would look like. If you decide you like it then the bumpers will need to be sandblasted to remove the chrome before painting. BUT ... repops are inexpensive and look decent.

I agree with Stanton. I'm going to give AMD repop bumpers a try on my 69. Too bad they dont make any for a 62.....or a 33!
The repops are a BUNCH cheaper than having them rechromed her in communist california.
Edit: i did paint the rear bumper on my bahama yellow runner, for the same reason you are thinking about it. I kinda liked it, but more because of the expense of staightening and rechroming. Paint was a quick and dirty fix. Sorry,no shots, car is not with me here.

Last edited:
I have 2 vintage cars. I easily sold all 3 bumpers that needed replaced at no less than 100 a piece. Unless, your original bumper is very bad. People will buy them at that price. Having done so, you pay $200 for an aftermarket bumper that looks as good as the original did new. Aftermarket bumpers are very nice. You just have to keep after them more frequently, keeping them clean from pitting. They pit a lot easier than factory chrome. Not the slightest issue, if car is kept under a roof and you take a rag to it every 3 to 6 months. I sold an original rear bumper off my 50 Chevy for $200 that someone prior to me painted with a rattle can metallic silver paint. Sold in a day.

Last edited:
If I were to use plastidip or a wrap, it would have to be cheap or look really good and not cost much. I was thinking about those methods just to see what it would look like.
The repops are a BUNCH cheaper than having them rechromed
Yes! There is absolutely nothing wrong with either bumper, but the rear bumper chrome is dull, and in trying to get some shine back, I see the copper starting to show. Too bad I don't have a good chrome shop around here anymore. It's crazy that a complete bumper costs less than just getting one dipped!

My car and the bumpers are nice, it's just I'm "out of chrome" on the rear bumper, and I want my bling back. I figured I'd at least see what it would look like satin black before I bought a new bumper or had mine rechromed.
20191124_145920.jpg
20191124_133109.jpg

If I were to use plastidip or a wrap, it would have to be cheap or look really good and not cost much. I was thinking about those methods just to see what it would look like.

Yes! There is absolutely nothing wrong with either bumper, but the rear bumper chrome is dull, and in trying to get some shine back, I see the copper starting to show. Too bad I don't have a good chrome shop around here anymore. It's crazy that a complete bumper costs less than just getting one dipped!
I was in same boat. My Coronet original front bumper was very nice but it was dull under the headlights a little. Had several extremely minor pits on top. The front face was pretty nice. I sold mine for $150 in no time at all.

The last thing I had chromed was the back bumper for my tina, a tiny thin little thing, dirt simple to re-do. I was amazed how well it turned out, for a reasonable amount of money.
Needless to say ,that shop is long gone. I would guess that california regulations have killed off at least 90% of the chrome shops that used to be here.

I would guess that california regulations have killed off at least 90% of the chrome shops that used to be here.
I can only imagine, knowing what chemicals go into the process.
There was an industrial chrome shop near New Orleans that would do show chrome plating, as long as the items didn't need repair. Unbelievable great prices and beautiful results. Unfortunately they aren't around anymore.

You have spent mega bucks on your car. IMO don't cheap out now, there is nothing like chrome on our cars. Send it to Tri City Plating. When it gets back you will send the front for more of that bling.

Send it to Tri City Plating. When it gets back you will send the front for more of that bling.
Their price list is off line right now.
My bumper only needs replating, absolutely no repairs. Any idea how much they charge?
The shipping cost to Tennessee from Louisiana shouldn't be too bad...

People make a few big mistakes in reference to having parts rechromed. For these reasons, it’s usually very high priced. There are ways of dropping the prices drastically.
My bumper only needs replating, absolutely no repairs. Any idea how much they charge?
It will far outweigh the cost of an aftermarket. I’m thinking, roughly a grand. There are a few things you can do and choose not to do that will drastically change the cost of chroming quotes. It can be pretty affordable or extremely expensive depending on you. To me, it doesn’t make sense for anyone to pay 5 times the cost of an aftermarket. They are identical.
Gauge metal is same. So what, you get a few tiny pits on it, ten years from now. And that’s only if you’re very neglectful. Throw it away, sell it. Buy another. You still will be at half the cost of having one rechromed. Having bought 2 bumpers. If the car is exposed to a lot of consistent moisture or is a 50-100k car. And you have a lot of spare money. Maybe

Last edited:
If the car is exposed to moisture or is a 50-100k car. And you have a lot of spare money. Maybe
Well, it cost close to 50, and God knows I've put a lot in it, with a lot more to come.
I have absolutely no, zero plans on ever selling it while I am physically able to drive it, and I hope that I'll be able to drive it until I die. So there's that...
As far as moisture goes, I live in a swamp. Not salt air like some of the coastal areas, but damp for sure. I do keep it in an enclosed, climate controlled garage though, and I do my best to avoid rain. The only time I wash it with water and RainX spotless car wash (my favorite so far) is if I have to. I use a 3 filter plus reverse osmosis chamber to make rinse water, and a submersible pump to spray that water through a hose to do a final rinse.
My paint has a few minor issues, that I may either have fixed or one day spring for a blast and redo. Fortunately I have a local guy who is outstanding, did my AMD N96 hood and matched the color perfectly. Last quote was $10k. I have WAY too much ahead of that, like a stroker motor that is starting with a $5,*** aluminum aftermarket block.

Well, it cost close to 50, and God knows I've put a lot in it, with a lot more to come.
I have absolutely no, zero plans on ever selling it while I am physically able to drive it, and I hope that I'll be able to drive it until I die. So there's that...
As far as moisture goes, I live in a swamp. Not salt air like some of the coastal areas, but damp for sure. I do keep it in an enclosed, climate controlled garage though, and I do my best to avoid rain. The only time I wash it with water and RainX spotless car wash (my favorite so far) is if I have to. I use a 3 filter plus reverse osmosis chamber to make rinse water, and a submersible pump to spray that water through a hose to do a final rinse.
My paint has a few minor issues, that I may either have fixed or one day spring for a blast and redo. Fortunately I have a local guy who is outstanding, did my AMD N96 hood and matched the color perfectly. Last quote was $10k. I have WAY too much ahead of that, like a stroker motor that is starting with a $5,*** aluminum aftermarket block.
It’s your choice. An original triple plated, show chrome bumper is definitely the best quality. I’m just trying to help you with options on cost. I’m just saying, you won’t be disappointed with an aftermarket. If, you keep it clean.

It’s your choice. An original triple plated, show chrome bumper is definitely the best quality. I’m just trying to help you with options on cost. I’m just saying, you won’t be disappointed with an aftermarket. If, you keep it clean.
That's the most likely way I'll go.
I'll check with TriCity so I can at least compare. I've already got so much to do, to pay for. I've already bought a LOT of what is about to be installed, but I still have some really important stuff to buy and install so I can actually enjoy going to the track again and do something other than spin my tires and make some beautiful noise.

Most B body bumpers are either 4 or 450 and look better than new with a lifetime warranty to you.

Auto Transport Service
Back