• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anybody ever here this before on a 383. is it a blown head gasket

midnightrider1818

Local time
12:38 AM
Reaction score
everytime i crank the motor over i hear a ppppppsssssshhhhhhh sound. like air leaking somewhere. motor runs good when i had it in the car.and i have never done a compression test because the motor is out of the car and i have no way of spinning it over. i just would hate to put the motor back in if it has a blown head gasket. your thoughts are appreciated.

Big socket and breaker bar on the bolt on the harmonic balancer and you can turn the motor over with out a starter. That, and a compression tester, should be able to give some answers. It could be something other than the head gasket, like a bad valve or a small hole in a piston. Good luck!

how about doing a cylinder leak down test.you need a air compressor and a few fittings,mark

I had a 440 with 13.5 compression pistons, (heads were shaved and block was decked so the actual compression ratio was a bit higher than that) ..when I turned it over to adjust the valves (with ignition wires pulled) I also heard the pesky compression sound (ppppppsssssshhhhhhh) almost sounded like a commode flushing,........... Engine was fine, Nice and stout, screamed like a Banshee. ..........I would say head gaskets are fine, If engine was running great before it was pulled, it didn't blow a gasket just sitting there.

It's common to hear some of these sounds when hand cranking an engine. I think it's air leaking past the rings. You can take the breather off or the valve cover and see if the sound changes.

BB MoPars with the 5 bolts surrounding each cylinder are not head gasket blowers.

I agree... with the engine cold the rings are not going to be expanded, so you will have a bigger gap and you will hear the compressed air bleeding passed them.

x2 with mopar mark if you are nervous. But it sounds normal. wouldnt hurt to get a baseline and find out if all cyls are equal. I did this to mine. To make life easy, get a timing tape and apply it to the balancer, then with a cold chisel, I marked it at the 10's of deg and every 2deg. I removed the tape and laid white paint into the marks. Also mark it at every 90 deg, great for leakdown test or valve adjustments.
scotts74birds
[/URL][/IMG]

x2 with mopar mark if you are nervous. But it sounds normal. wouldnt hurt to get a baseline and find out if all cyls are equal. I did this to mine. To make life easy, get a timing tape and apply it to the balancer, then with a cold chisel, I marked it at the 10's of deg and every 2deg. I removed the tape and laid white paint into the marks. Also mark it at every 90 deg, great for leakdown test or valve adjustments.
scotts74birds
[/URL][/IMG]

Good Idea !

Auto Transport Service
Back