• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody ever remove the 1970 steering wheel interlock?

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:17 AM
Reaction score
Been searching around this site, abodies, and the web to find an answer, but no luck. I believe that 70 columns worked the same regardless of body style. I have a 70 Duster that came with manual steering and a 3 speed on the floor. I am upgrading to a 4 speed and keeping the manual steering gear. Is there a safe way to remove the interlock feature that was only on 70 models without replacing the column? I know if you turn the sleeve and leave it there, everything will work fine. The problem I have is if the collar happens to get moved and the key is removed, the wheel could lock up when driving. I would like to disable the whole thing and make it work like my 69's.

IMG_20170126_075219423_HDR.jpg IMG_20170126_075245075.jpg

Turning the key to the off position is what makes the steering wheel lock.
If you remove the reverse linkage to the column, the worst that can happen is when you go to remove the key it wont go back to the off position, in which case you turn the collar on the column then remove.
Nothing can happen while your driving, unless you turn the key to the off position, then it will lock.

Last edited:
Nothing can happen while your driving, unless you turn the key to the off position, then it will lock.
I guess that is the situation I would like to avoid. I am not worried about it when I am driving, but this is a father/son project and you never know what could happen when a couple of teenagers are out horsing around.

Pull the steering wheel and dig in. It's not hard to find. As much as my car sat, turning the igntion on just to move it in the shop was a pain. I pulled the steering wheel out and removed the column lock.

Thanks for the help guys. Got it torn apart. Should I take out this lever assembly also, or just the wheel?

IMG_20170201_080612614_HDR.jpg

Without the wheel....you don't need the locking lever. Just need the key-tumbler to activate the ignition switch.
2i9tsaq.jpg

14n1q8p.jpg

Last edited:
After almost 40 years owning my GTX, I yanked the ignition lock from my column too. My thinking was if I ever need to shut down the ignition while moving I can still steer the thing.
Thanks for getting me thinking guys.

Auto Transport Service
Back