• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody Seen a 60 VW With a 440?

Big Joe

Local time
2:01 PM
Reaction score
D662904C-20D9-490F-AC07-D9EAB098F1BF.jpeg
AF6A7EC5-B2E5-4DBD-AE77-5FE9307B6ED1.jpeg
B62B4C45-0D2D-4535-8BCE-511F305974EA.jpeg

At Mopar Alley yesterday. Check out the sign on the trunk

I can't make out the sign...

Can't say I ever have seen a VW with a 440 upfront or anywhere...

seen a few with FE SBCs & full chassis

seen a few 65 67 69-ish Corvairs the same way,
with BBC or SBC looked like mini Chevelles

Apologies for bad pic. The sign read “Attention VW purists not original 36hp engine, upgraded to 12 volt system and then on the bottom it said, wanna race
:lol:

Nope....had a 71 Super Beetle Autostick and having it for about a year, I grew to hate them.....body style et al! Always said I'd never own one but couldn't pass up this one because it was so cheap. My mistake and haven't owned one since! lol

Nope....had a 71 Super Beetle Autostick and having it for about a year, I grew to hate them.....body style et al! Always said I'd never own one but couldn't pass up this one because it was so cheap. My mistake and haven't owned one since! lol
I was going to buy an autostick once, but I could not figure out how to work it...... LOl... Take my man card

I was going to buy an autostick once, but I could not figure out how to work it...... LOl... Take my man card
Yeah, they are different. Gotta let go of the shifter once you grab a gear. Mine was faster than a regular 4 speed VW until about 75 then the true stick car past me up. Just got to 'slam' the shifter (power shift) and not keep your hand on it because any time you rest your hand on it waiting for the next time to shift, you will move it just enough to disengage the clutch. I learnt that pretty quickly.....also learnt how to push start that POS car lol. I had my fun times with it but nothing like I did in the old Mopar cars. Kinda like riding a ferris wheel a couple of times. The fun wore off pretty fast.....

Air-cooled 440
:bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:

Back in the day, there was a weird sort of guy that had a 454 Chevy powered VW in north Seattle that we used encounter off and on.

Auto Transport Service
Back