• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody tow with their B-Body???

rocky61201

Local time
12:42 AM
Reaction score
I know this might be a crazy or stupid idea but I'm just wondering if anybody tows with their B Body? I'm talking around 2k pounds. No more than 3k.
I'm really itching to buy some type of pop-up camper or small light weight RV trailer for weekend trips to the beach. I'm only about 10 miles away from the beach so we're not talking long distance.

I just don't have another vehicle right now capable of towing and the 71 Charger with a mild 383/727 is kinda the best option. I know there are a bunch of other options and I'm thinking them all through. I might even buy an old Class B conversion van and restore that if I find a worthy candidate for cheap. The drawback to that idea is registration/smog, but still might consider that project.

Again, just wondering if anybody tows with their classic B Body? (At least it won't ever get called a trailer queen, lol)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using your b body for towing a small trailer. They were used for this purpose all the time back in their day! Gear ratio is what I would be concerned with. 3:23 or lower would be better for towing, but not mandatory. The trick is coming up with a proper hitch to attach to the car. Back in the day, a universal kit was usually purchased and 'home-fabbed' to the car. If I ever come across a period correct (60's) trailer, 16' or less, I would like to do the same. I say go for it, and have fun!

I used to pull a Tandem axle car trailer back in the 80's with my 68' Charger. I didn't like to, but Money was short. That was 6,000lbs with the car on the trailer. So, 2-3,000lbs should be no Issue. My 77' Cordoba has a factory tow package rated up to 5,000lbs, so your 71' would be fine.

I would make sure your transmission is built HD, and use 3:23 or deeper gears in order to keep down wear and tear.I installed a Trans oil cooler, and HD radiator as well.

I also installed Hemi Leaf springs, as the 383 springs were too cheesy.

A factory trailer package was available.

Usually consisted of heavy duty rad, fan, springs, hitch, etc.
Sometimes trailer cars got sure-grip as well.

I recently discovered that a Reese style hitch made for a Dakota (among others) will fit a 66/67 B body with very little modification!

The issue with 71-74 is the valance panel.

I've got some old flat bar hitches that I've been saving, to see if I can fab something up for the Satellite.

I pulled the largest single axle u-haul trailer from OH to FL using my 67 Coronet, which was packed FULL of stuff as well.
I used a u-haul supplied bumper mount hitch.
Rode great and no issues with power or handling.

DSCN3322.jpg
I use to tow a 2800lb boat/trailer with my satellite.

That's the hitch I need!

There was one at a local JY, but I couldn't break the welds on the frame, and the car was gone the next time I was there.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the ball end off one that someone cut right behind the chain loops...

Really?

PM on the way...

That would be easy to make.... there is a plug on the proportion valve for a electronic brake slave... that would mount under the dash for electric brakes...

Many years ago, I ran my 67R/T at a local dragstrip for a while. We trailered it with slicks and open headers. It was kind of funny, we were in the pits and one guy was trailering a 68 Buick Gran Sport drag car. His tow vehicle was a 67 Coronet R/T! LOL

I use to have a 68 Sport Satty 383 4bbl 4 speed {my moms 1st new car, I got some 10 years latter}
with a full on tow package,

IIRC I think it was the 1st thing I removed too...

Many people use them to tow RV Trailers, car trailers & boat trailers all the time...
very common back in the day

Did someone say "welds"?

Highly recommended NOT to weld a hitch to a frame. Bolts only, grade eights...

My '66 Coronet had a class III reciever on it when I bought it. Original owner towed his travel trailer with it. You can still see the mark in the undercoating on the spare tire well from it. I cut it out immediately.

When I was in grade school our family car was a 69 Coronet R/T. Dad fabbed up a hitch for it to pull my grandparents fold down camper trailer. I remember one vacation coming back from Colorado with mom, dad, 3 kids and a fold down camper with 30 or 40 cases of Coors beer. Oh, by the way that car was a triple black hemi 4 speed super track pack with hurst wheels. Boy I wish I had the coin to buy that when dad let it go.

Auto Transport Service
Back