• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Added a Catalytic Converter to 71-74 Dodge Charger?

Jsmooth

Local time
7:00 AM
Reaction score
I have 74 Dodge Charger with a killer 440 engine, I want to reduce the emissions. I have young kids and I want to take them for a ride without worrying I am exposing them to toxic fumes. Should add a Catalytic converter? I am not worried about loosing power as I already have WAY TOO Much. I found this one from the UK costs around $260 to get to me with shipping:

https://jetex.co.uk/classic-car-converters/

Any thoughts?

Its not a good idea to retrofit smog stuff on a classic car.

Here are your realistic options:
1- Sell it and buy a 2009-2020 SRT Challenger
2- Don't let your kids stand right behind the exhaust dumps
3- Replace rusted floor pans or rubber seals because there shouldn't be a reason why you have a dangerous amount of fumes inside your car's cabin
4- Run better gas, Fumes aren't as bad with better quality gas
5- Wait until your kids are a little older

:rofl::thumbsup:

Dont let these people manipulate you with their bullshit.
You dont need a catalytic converter. You're fine.

If you have a good exhaust to the rear bumper you have no risk of "fumes".

You have good point, I didn't notice it when driving earlier this week. Just when I have back down my driveway, but I keep my windows up. I also feel bad for the people behind me on the streets.

I have 74 Dodge Charger with a killer 440 engine, I want to reduce the emissions. I have young kids and I want to take them for a ride without worrying I am exposing them to toxic fumes. Should add a Catalytic converter? I am not worried about loosing power as I already have WAY TOO Much. I found this one from the UK costs around $260 to get to me with shipping:

https://jetex.co.uk/classic-car-converters/

Any thoughts?
Short answer...yes you can add a converter and have it work. You'll be using a two way converter like in the 70's since you don't have computer controlled fuel or oxygen sensors.

However, you shouldn't be getting fumes in your car anyway. Make sure your exhaust is tight and keep the engine properly tuned and you won't have problems with your kids health.

the only time fumes are a big issue is if you have no floors and open headers
You have good point, I didn't notice it when driving earlier this week. Just when I have back down my driveway, but I keep my windows up. I also feel bad for the people behind me on the streets.
they are inside of modern cars which are almost airtight

I also feel bad for the people behind me on the streets.

Cruise ships, airplanes and industry not so much.
Most cars on the road today are very clean, a few classics driving around should not even be measurable.
So i dont worry at all personally.

Oh Christ.....
A properly tuned engine will not bother anyone but snowflakes and wimps.

Just drive the car and stop worrying. As long as the exhaust hasn't got any leaks and the trunk lid is sealed well you won't get any fumes in the cabin. It's not like your driving in a fresh air bubble, there's other cars and pollution all around you. Petrol fumes aren't even that bad, it's the diesel fumes that are the real killer.

Search universal catalytic converter on ebay. There are universal high flow units for way less $$

My brother and I used to ride in the wayback seat of my father's '59 Plymouth wagon, the seat facing out the back. The tailgate window would be down and the exhaust fumes would pour in and I turned out okay. I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

First thing... There's no such thing as 'WAY TOO Much' when it comes to power.
Second thing is that if you want your kids to have the real experience of a muscle car, part of it is the visceral stuff like the smells and sounds. Otherwise you might as well drive a prius

Its not a good idea to retrofit smog stuff on a classic car.

Here are your realistic options:
1- Sell it and buy a 2009-2020 SRT Challenger
2- Don't let your kids stand right behind the exhaust dumps
3- Replace rusted floor pans or rubber seals because there shouldn't be a reason why you have a dangerous amount of fumes inside your car's cabin
4- Run better gas, Fumes aren't as bad with better quality gas
5- Wait until your kids are a little older

:rofl::thumbsup:

You forgot one option: Sit in the car on the driveway (engine OFF) and make Vroom Vroom sounds...

Most of the fumes that have got into my old cars have been from the engine bay rather than the exhaust.....fuel leaks, oil leaks, stuff dripping on the exhaust etc.....as said above if you have a full length air tight exhaust exhaust, good rubber seals on the doors and boot and are not in the habit of driving everywhere in reverse, then exhaust fumes in the car should not be an issue!

Uh if your exhaust dumps out back your fine !
If your worried about the earth buy a hybrid and donate you polluter to someone in FL around the Melbourne area

No rust holes in car no exhaust leak s pipes out back your good to go !

Many of us here are old farts now and grew up riding in cars of the 50's and 60's then got our license to drive in around the 60's. What am I saying here? We survived no seat belts, no air bags, no cat converters, no padded dash boards and.....well, how old are you!? lol

Auto Transport Service
Back