• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone buy a repo steering wheel ?

pearljam724

Local time
11:48 PM
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on 68/69 reproduction steering wheels. Is quality up to par and anything lacking compared to original ? Some pics would be great

Need a blue one? I have one I never used. It looks good.

Get an aftermaket wheel and be done. Steering wheels are crazy money. To the point where they are being repossessed!

Thinking about a black one. I have an aftermarket that I like. But, considering the original wheel.

I have used a couple of the repop wheels...wood grain and solid color. They fit fine, I have noticed that sometimes I had to tweak the heavy wire that trips the turn signal indicator release to make sure it contacts well.

There is another link on this site where several members are complaining about having received steering wheels lately that were corroded right out of the box. I can’t speak to that as I haven’t bought one in about two years.

Go with one of these instead....

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Just my opinion, but there is no way was I going to put an aftermarket steering wheel on my car. I looked and looked for a wood grain for my 69 charger rt. I gave up, cheapest I could find one was $400 for a crappy driver. I talked myself into a black cornet style wheel with the cool tri-symbol horn button. Way cheaper and I think they look great.

Just my opinion, but there is no way was I going to put an aftermarket steering wheel on my car. I looked and looked for a wood grain for my 69 charger rt. I gave up, cheapest I could find one was $400 for a crappy driver. I talked myself into a black cornet style wheel with the cool tri-symbol horn button. Way cheaper and I think they look great.
I agree. I got the same reproduction wheel. Brand new for $175 ! The quality is pretty darn good. I can’t find one flaw. I like it a lot.

I was in love with the stock wood grain one for a long time, had 3 cross my hand over the years with 2 being in very good shape un-restored. Restored 2 black ones to better than driver's quality and they were nice.

Both of those are pretty large compared to today's standards, to try something different I put one of these in:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/grt-870

I just felt to small so after 2 months I changed it out to this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/grt-675/overview/

It felt much better, it's cheap and does the job. The smaller diameter with the Borgeson upgrade made steering a lot better with stock length pitman arm.

I will eventually get a nicer wheel, at the top of the list is this Budnik Chicane, black grip with a satin or matte center.
https://www.budnik.com/steering-wheels/chicane

Repo?
Someone defaulted on their steering wheel payments ??

:poke:

Saw a NOS 3 spoke woodgrain for my 66 Satellite on ebay I was out at $600 sold for $1225.

Welp, as nice and beautiful as they are. Found an extremely major flaw after installing and reinstalling several times over past month for dash work. The splines on the reproduction wheels absolutely destroy the splines on the steering column. I have 2 grooves where the splines were about 3/16” wide. Don’t understand why, but for sure.

Auto Transport Service
Back