• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone buy reproduction positive battery cables? Would like to see pics of them on your battery.

GMP440

Local time
10:52 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
Looking to replace the positive battery cable assembly on my 68 Coronet.
Would like to see pics of the battery cable terminal ends.
Also where did you buy yours? Thanks.

George

Recently commented on another post regarding these but I'll share it here as well.
I had trouble with a repop cable for the roadrunner and I'm not the only one. I had a no start issue that drove me nuts because the cable was only a few months old so I didn't suspect it. I just ended up with a parts store generic but it's been fine ever since.
I'm not saying there are no good cables out there but I can tell you a lot of them are junk...expensive junk, so heads up!

I hesitate to recommend the one I bought (it's pretty darn cheap), but it fit just fine
and has worked for me so far. I'm not running any high amp alternator and the starter
is the Dakota V8 starter, but knock wood, this cable has withstood the long cranking
that occurs after the car has sat a week and carb needs primed again:
http://www.partsmix.com/products/68...nner-coronet-positive-battery-cable-deal.html

That and the folks who own that parts supply are local to the area and I can always just walk
in if there's an issue. Real easy folks to do business with.

I bought the Partsmix cables (pos and neg) and they work fine. The pos cable could be a bit longer but there is slack so it's not tugging on the battery post.

I had cables made for my daily driver for a custom installation.

Weiand intake after powder coat 007.JPG

If you want a correct restoration don't use these cables. There are vendors that sell an accurate re-popped cable but they are pricey.

Here is my '67 Coronet,I bought the positive cable from M & H electric,these guys make really nice stuff! The ground cable is a generic part.

20190419_193017.jpg

The manufactures of the lesser priced cables use aluminum in their cables and thus the ability to carry less amperage and more prone to issues with heat affecting the internals of the cables.

The more expensive cables use copper wiring with pure lead for the battery post lead and the terminal ends are plated copper to improve conductivity of the cables just like the factory cables were made. You can easily detect the difference in weight holding the two different styles in your hand.

These reproduction cables are duplicates of the factory assembly line pieces as your not able to go by the over the counter cables as many of them were superceded through the years and are not necessarily correct as for as body style or model year.

Granted, the reproduction correct cables are considerably more money. If your not necessary looking for a factory style cable with the best electrical properties, look into buying up some heavy gauge wire from a welding supply shop and building your own cable. The necessary terminals and correct style tapes are available and you will have an excellent cable that will last for years.

Auto Transport Service
Back