• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else grow up with a high performance Mopar in the family?

chargervert

Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
I was about 5 years old when I saw the 68 Charger R/T for the first time. I was in a 68 Chevy,and a green Charger R/T pulled up on the other side of the gas pump. When I saw the attendant put the gas in ,I thought,that's the coolest car I ever had seen! I new I wanted one! After the guy got his gas,he left the station,tires blazing,sideways down the street,and I was hooked! Who knew,that just a few years later,my parents would divorce,and my mom would remarry. The guy she married,drove an old 62 Chrysler 300H convertible. It was rusty,but it ran well. He bought a new car in 1970. A triple green 70 Charger R/T SE. it had a 440 Magnum with an automatic,it was our family car from 70-82. Anyone else grow up with a cool Mopar in their family?
moms car.sized.jpg

My dad had a 68 Coronet 440 station wagon when i was a kid. Does that count???

Yep, still thrashing on it.. :) '79 picture when I bought it from Dad.
beepics 004.JPG
beerestoration2018 2204.JPG

Last edited:
my dad had a new 57 2dr Fairlane w/ a 352 and dual quads. He called it a police interceptor.

That's cool that you still have the bee! I had a 69 Charger with a 318, when my mom sold her car. I offered to buy it,but she would not sell it to me. She said that I would probably kill myself in it. So I bought this yellow 70 Charger R /T SE, 440, 4-speed ,Dana car, and I still have it. While I have not seen moms old Charger in years, a friend of mine saw it about ten years ago, and says that it is still around. When I bought my yellow car,I told mom that she should have sold me her car,because I bought one anyway. She said well if you kill yourself in that one atleast I know that I didn't sell it to you!
20180515_101333.jpg

A 1976 Plain Jane Duster with a 318 in it. I rolled it the first day I got my driver's license and my Dad replaced it with an El Camino that had a 350 in it. My 2 brothers and I wore that El Camino out, but it was a good vehicle!

Last edited:
My dad bought a new 73 2dr. Satellite 318. Petty blue when I was in 11th grade. Cool car to drive.

Dad had 72 charger, uncles and aunts had and still have 70,71 challengers ,73 cuda, 70 road runner, 69 road runner convertible, 72 scamp,67 dart, 66 newport was grandparents and 67 dart 4 door was my first car.

My older sister, me and my younger brother all came home in my dad's 74 roadrunner. He owned it up til about 12 years ago when an asshole in Columbus Ohio took his money for a restoration and left his car unprepped after it was dipped. The only thing left is the fender tags and vin plate.

He found a another 74 a few years back with plans to build his dream. With his health issues and age I have taken possession of the car and am working to finish his dream for him. He is the reason I drive only Mopar products. His car is why I joined this board.

Parents first bought a new '62 Chrysler New Yorker Station Wagon (413 CID). Then bought a new '71 Road Runner 383 auto with air grabber and spoilers when I was 16. Used the bird to take my first driver's license practical exam and drove it to school as a junior and senior in high school. Kind of looked like my current SSP B-Body in the foto, the same Bahama Yellow:

DSC00001.JPG

My grandfather bought his son's (my uncle) 1968 Coronet convertible. I have it now.

My dad liked Chryslers so we had a 53 New Yorker (first car I remember), a 56 New Yorker, a 59 Pontiac (?), a 61 New Port, and a 64 New Yorker (first car I drove-learned to drive in our 61 Jeep P/U). My first car: 56 Savoy 2 dr. sed. ( I paid my uncle $0.37 for it! )
Second: 56 Olds 4 dr. hdtp. ( totaled that one )
Third: 63 Savoy 2 dr. sed. (swapped in a 413 w/ CI TF and kept it for 10 years)
I'll stop now.
Mike

My dad was a Ford guy. All he ever owned were Country Squire station wagons (all with woodgrain paneling) except for a 66 Thunderbird convertible that he bought new. However, he couldn't use that for work too well and gave that car to mom & he got another Country Squire for himself. I guess I was the rebel in the family by going Mopar.

I am the youngest of 3 boys. My oldest brother's first car was a 67 GTX 440 4 speed. His next car was a 70 Limelite 340 Swinger 4 speed with air. My other brother had a 73 340 Rally Challenger. My first car at 16 was a 69 GTX. 440 auto 410 dana, air grabber. And yes I still have it currently undergoing a full restoration.

image.jpg

My brother in law and my sister got married in 1975. He had a green 70 Challenger R /T 440 Sixpack, automatic car. It was the first car I went over 100 mph in. It was more like 140 mph. It had 50 series tires on the back, with Cragars all around. The car was sweet. He crashed and burned it in 1979. After the crash, he tried to put out the carb fire ,but by pulling the lid off the Sixpack, and added air to the fire. The key was on and the electric fuel pump kept pumping fuel. The car burned to the ground. We saved the engine, but nothing else survived. I helped him pull the engine apart. It was full of water from the fire department putting it out. I still remember the melted Sixpack carbs. They used an prybar to open the trunk, it wasn't pretty. It was sad to see such a cool car totally distroyed. I remember my sister telling me that one time she was driving the Challenger, when some guys egged her on to smoke the tires, so she did. Well that didn't work out well for her not knowing how much power it really had. The car broke loose,she went over a meridian into on coming traffic, fortunately she avoided crashing into anything! She drove the rest of the way home at 10 mph crying!

My dad brought this home in March/April '69
7E408A52-435A-4234-B718-B4161844DFD5.png

It's the first car I ever drove (Aug, '72)
He put the 1st 180,000 miles on it, I turned the odometer over the 2nd time + 25-30k and it's still going
:thumbsup:

Cool car,F6 stripe delete, white top,that really pops! There's nothing better than growing up with a Charger R /T in the family!

My dad was a Ford guy. All he ever owned were Country Squire station wagons (all with woodgrain paneling) except for a 66 Thunderbird convertible that he bought new. However, he couldn't use that for work too well and gave that car to mom & he got another Country Squire for himself. I guess I was the rebel in the family by going Mopar.

griswold-mobile.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back