• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever run twin turbos on Mopar BB?

68ChargerAG

Local time
3:05 AM
Reaction score
Just wondering...

A friend and I were throwing the idea around. :grin: Two smaller turbos as opposed to one big one so they spool up faster, much lower cost than roots blower (or even centrifugal kit) because much of it can be made yourself, no cuts in the hood either and no pulleys or power loss due to pulley driven system.

I have seen pictures of twin turbos on BBs on other makes on the web, but wondering if anyone on here has ever seen/done it with a Mopar BB.

+1, seen it online but not in person. Im very familiar with turbo vehicles and turbo upgrades, the only thing is the exhaust flange for the turbos... they cost alot and usually stops people from going on with the mod.

i know of it being done but the guy i knew who did it had alot of money to waste his setup wsnt cheap, its possible to do but will cost you abit unless you have the tools and know how to do it all yourself

Are you talking a street car or all out Race car? If you're talking all out race, then yes it's been done and still being done! Brad Personet holds the MPH record with his twin turbo Pro Mod @ 255 mph, Dave Hance is also another with a twin turbo Hemi in a Pro Mod. Both are Injected and run on alcohol. These cars will be the fastest **** on the drag strip (In Pro Mod) Their still working on putting the power to the ground down low, From Mid track to up top their just ANIMALS!!!
Never seen twins turbo Hemi on the street, that would definatly be BAD ***!!!

I am talking about for street use on a mildly modified engine... not a top end expensive build. The idea would be to keep the boost moderately low, and to run on E85 (or a mix) because it can be run at higher pressures without detonating, but still not require racing fuel.

The manifold would have to be custom, and would have to use a blow through carb or modify the carb for blow through. Turbos can be bought fairly cheep compared to blowers, and you could end up with a real sleeper. I have a turbo diesel truck and just love when the turbos kick in... and have grown to love that sound of them spooling up. :grin:

Although, I sure do love the sound of a roots blower too. I just don't know if I will ever be in a position to drop 5 - 7 grand to get one... then the expense of setting it up and working.

Well, go visit www.paintshop101.com here in San Antonio. They are doing almost this, but, to a Viper engine/drivetrain in a 69 Super Bee, called Viper Bee. The qtrs are bulged out about 4+ inches each, cut open to allow air intake for the twin turbos, tubbed, this thing is looking sick, but still 'stock' and even factory! It's got a late model Challenger tail panel modded to replace the rotted one I media blasted to nothing. This car is going to be sick! http://www.paintshop101.com/ps101_057.htm The pics are a bit dated, not too current, I should take some and post them, but, would have to get permission from them to do so!

Kevin Alexander of the Cowtown Mopars in Ft. Worth did it. http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/mmo82001.html is a feature on the car with complete specs on the engine, turbos, etc. from back in 2001.

1971 440 +.030", steel crank 10/10, resized LY rods, SpeedPro forged 9:1 flat tops, FM high volume oil pump, and ARP rod bolts. Calculated 8.7 compression.
Heads - stock 452 castings, springs/locks/retainers to match cam. Composite gaskets. Cam - custom Comp Cams grind. Designed with assistance from Corky Bell (www.cartech.net) and Comp's senior guys (not the first on one the phone). Intake is 236* and .474" Exhaust is 232 degrees and .483" LSA is 112 with 10 degrees overlap. Made on 3 bolt blank for use with Pete Jackson gear drive.
Breathing - Performer intake and carb is a Holley 650DP massaged by Scott at SDCE. (They offer centrifugal blower kits for carbed Mopars.) The intake plumbing is now twin 2-1/4 inch exhaust tubes joining into one 3 inch pipe feeding the carb. [ed. note: updated since original pictures were taken]
Exhaust - A and B Muffler, Irving, TX. Hooker Super Comp headers hacked-n-slashed to route upwards and towards the radiator. 1-7/8" primaries. Temporary exhaust is made from 2-1/2" with turbo mufflers.
Turbos - T4/T3 hybrids from Mike at Majestic Turbos (www.dallasturbo.com) made from Garrett T4 60-1 compressor wheels in ported 50 trim housings and Turbonetics T3 Stage III .48 A/R turbines.
Wastegates - Tial .65 Bar wastegates from Alamo Autosport (they occasionally do more than ricers).
Blow Off Valves - twin Chrysler 2.2 Turbo bov's.
Intercooler - massive Cummins/Dodge item that straddles the radiator. Will modify in/out to suit.
Plumbing - PVC piping from Home Depot. Schedule 40 holds 200 psi and cost $9 for 10 feet.
Fuel - 3/8" pickup modification (Brink Racecraft) and 3/8" aluminum lines by me. Stock 5/16" line used for return. Carter electric 100 gph 15 psi pump and Mallory 8306 boost referenced regulator. I fat fingered the fuel sending unit gasket so I dump fuel overboard at an alarming rate.
Ignition - MSD 6A, Autozone wires, champion plugs. [ed. note: updated information since original pictures were taken.]
3 row radiator cooled with a Spal 16 inch electric fan and a parts house 16 inch pusher fan, for long periods of idling.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com is another site that has turbo'd 440s.

Kevin told me that a pair of Mopar 2.2 turbos would be a great match for a 318. Just sayin'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QMuJ6Ngmfs

Last edited by a moderator:
I also must say, that in the late 80s, early 90s I was a MOPAR 2.2 turbo II, 2.5, and 2.2 turbo IV freak! I had 3 cars with these engines in 'em. I bailed on them seeing the writing on the wall; the V8 is/was coming back when MOPAR introduced the Charger concept car in 1999. I went back at that time to the early MOPAR stuff, sold all my K car derived stuff-and this is where I am now.

I also must say, that in the late 80s, early 90s I was a MOPAR 2.2 turbo II, 2.5, and 2.2 turbo IV freak! I had 3 cars with these engines in 'em. I bailed on them seeing the writing on the wall; the V8 is/was coming back when MOPAR introduced the Charger concept car in 1999. I went back at that time to the early MOPAR stuff, sold all my K car derived stuff-and this is where I am now.

I was a big boost nut aswell, owning many Eagle talons from FWD turbo auto to AWD turbo 5 spd, I still have the AWD car, just couldn't let it go :) I've been collecting parts to build a rear mount turbo setup on my stroked 440 Sundance (thats why I used Forged pistons) Any way very interesting topic!!

Found a pic you might like to see.
DSCF0165.jpg

DSCF0165.jpg

Interesting... that looks just like a draw-through set up I was imagining I could build. I wonder if they made that. Only problem is no intercooler... but maybe much easier to tune then trying to set up a blow-through carb. Maybe some sort of air-water intercooler would fit in there somehow.

Hey 74Sundance... I have heard of doing rear mount turbos, I saw pics of an older camero done that way. What would you do to minimize all the lag due to that much pipe having to pressurise in both directions? Would that be best for just racing or do you think it could be done streetable?

Interesting... that looks just like a draw-through set up I was imagining I could build. I wonder if they made that. Only problem is no intercooler... but maybe much easier to tune then trying to set up a blow-through carb. Maybe some sort of air-water intercooler would fit in there somehow.

Hey 74Sundance... I have heard of doing rear mount turbos, I saw pics of an older camero done that way. What would you do to minimize all the lag due to that much pipe having to pressurise in both directions? Would that be best for just racing or do you think it could be done streetable?

I had thought that there would be lots of lag as well but they claim there is not..but I guess we won't really know until we try it :)....If you think of it like a garden hose open ended the water pours out but if you close the end off a little it shoots out like crazy..Same idea with the rear mount you need to have the pipe reduced in size to increase the pressure and reduce the lag.

I think with V8 the lag wouldn't be a big deal,plus you need to think of all the good there is in having the turbo in the rear,no muffler, fresh cool air into the turbo, no intercooler needed,no added heat in the engine bay from the turbo,oh and dont for get the cool factor.

Auto Transport Service
Back