• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone experience probs reman steering pump ?

pearljam724

Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
When I bought my car, the power steering worked but it leaked all over the place. I replaced both hoses, the belt and bought a complete remanufactured pump and reservoir for around $65 total. It was leak free, worked great for less than a few hundred miles. Then all of the sudden about a week ago the power steering went out on a long trip. It’s barely leaking somewhere which I can’t decipher where. Pretty sure it’s not the hoses. Regardless, if I top it off. It still won’t work. No issues with belt either. So, I’m led to believe under all circumstances the pump is a crapper.
Anyone else have negative experience with these remanufactured pumps ? Mines the Saginaw I believe, filler neck is rounded at top.

Buddy of mine had a brand new pump on his car. In the middle of a trip the power steering would come and go. It was a mystery so after a bunch of head scratching, it was decided to replace the pump with an Autozone piece the next morning. The "new" replacement pump does not comes with a reservoir so in the middle of the night, in a hotel parking lot we pull the pump apart and lo and behold, there is a little magnet inside (from the mfg.) presumably to attract any metal particles that might be floating around. Fine plan - except they never took the magnet out of the little plastic bag it came in and it was lodged in the intake hole.

Buddy of mine had a brand new pump on his car. In the middle of a trip the power steering would come and go. It was a mystery so after a bunch of head scratching, it was decided to replace the pump with an Autozone piece the next morning. The "new" replacement pump does not comes with a reservoir so in the middle of the night, in a hotel parking lot we pull the pump apart and lo and behold, there is a little magnet inside (from the mfg.) presumably to attract any metal particles that might be floating around. Fine plan - except they never took the magnet out of the little plastic bag it came in and it was lodged in the intake hole.
Very well could be my problem. Do you recall the magnet size ? As it being small enough to get stuck in one of the ports or bigger just covering one of the holes ? Or was it the bag in the hole ?

Last edited:
I removed it today, didn’t get so lucky. No baggy, no magnet either.

Had mine rebuilt, after installing it I found it leaked where the neck joined the tank. Been in a shelf ever since.

Had mine rebuilt, after installing it I found it leaked where the neck joined the tank. Been in a shelf ever since.
Mine worked and was leak free for a whopping 200 miles, lol !

Very well could be my problem. Do you recall the magnet size ? As it being small enough to get stuck in one of the ports or bigger just covering one of the holes ? Or was it the bag in the hole ?

Yep, the magnet was still in the bag and the bag was lodged in the hole.

Auto Transport Service
Back